PALS
Country
US
State
NY
City
Astoria
First off - I don't really get the whole PNS joke :razz:

Secondly - maybe you guys can help clarify something. The nuerologist last time said that I have a ulnar nerve entrapment. This time she is calling it nueropathy and wants to test for ck levels in blood and then to another EMG. Last time I took some comfort in the fact that they did find something and that it was a pinched nerve, does it sound like now they are testing for something else? Could nerve damage via pinched nerve appear the same as nerve damage from a neurological problem?

thanks!

Hi, Sigmafloyd,

I don't know if anybody on this forum except Wright will know the answer to the last question ... but your neuro knows. I always go to the doctor with a list of questions I have compiled since my last visit.

Your doctor should surely be willing to tell you if she is testing for something else, and what that something else is.

Good luck!

I had two emgs due to an unlar nerve entrapment. The first emg showed that I had denervation in the forearm and hand. The neuro was stumped..the only thing I had going for me was no weakness. The second emg all over my body showed that I had a spinal cord compression and and unlar nerve entrapment, called a double crush. It is not unusual to have two or more things going on when you have multiple symptoms. After two emgs, a lumbar puncture and multipal labs I do not have als. They recommend excersise Hope this helps.

CK levels look for a muscle disease and there are over a hundred neuropathies....A new EMG can help them sort out between the neuropathies and muscle disorders. Sorry this is just the beginning but fortunately they will find whats wrong and be able to fix it, good luck.

Sigma,

Let me briefly clarify PNS. ITS A WHOLE LOT BETTER THAN ALS!

Its much easier to live with a pinched nerve. Surely that is not difficult to understand. I came up with it with the help of a few others on this forum that were in search of an answer while awaiting a diagnosed.

It is also a lot easier to explain your difficulty to people when they ask what's the matter. If you say, "Its my pinched nerve acting up again.", end of conversation.
If you say, "I've been diagnosed with a suspected motor neuron disease and it may wind up being ALS.", it freaks people out. It also freaks the person undergoing the diagnosis out. Much easier to say pinched nerve. Much easier to convince youself, pinched nerve. Much easier to hope, pinched nerve.

One other thing; If you tell people you believe your problems are due to a pinched nerve and you wind up with a diagnosis of a motor neuron disease, you don't look like such an idiot and you get a whole lot more compassion.

If, on the other hand, you prematurely diagnose yourself with MND and it winds up being a pinched nerve. Well, take it from me; you look like an idiot!
Smiles on you!

It wasn't meant to offend or fool anyone. Just a tool to help lessen anxiety; mine included.

Zaphoon
P.S. Has anyone out there ever gone to an "Idiots Annonymous" meeting? Oh, they are a real hoot, for sure! Avoid them at all cost!

Last edited:
Thanks all for the replies.

I guess what I'm worried about is that my doctor has suspected something worse all along and was just sort of leading me to believe it was something minor like a pinched nerve.

We shall see I guess. I know age is on my side (26).

best wishes,
Nathan

Zaphoon,

I just wanted to let you know that I like your humor, as we all know laughter is the best medicine.

I have learned also telling people that you might have that 3 letter word might scare them away
if they know what it means!

Zaphoon,
yes, I also like your humor on here. Thank God we don't have to worry about you having PMS!:razz::razz::smile::

Happy Wednesday to all,
It's hump day!
brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back