Diagnosis
04/2022
Country
UK
State
UK
City
london
Hello ive just been told I have PMA which is a rare motor neuron disease. Would really like to connect with people that have this condition. I'm 43 with a 11-year-old living at home, my symptoms started in 2020. I got corda eqina from slipped disc in my back. Two back operations with complications of CFS leaks, then hands started locking ,weakness, heavy, spasms and pain with fatigue and twitches. I've had five rounds of IVIG as it wasn't sure if it's MMN, I haven't noticed any difference from this treatment apart from my fasifications which I've calm down. Ive just started Riluzole this week.

Hi I am sorry to hear they decided definitely MND. Are you now being seen at an MND clinic? Since your last post contained part of your medical notes and they said you had some umn findings how did they land on PMA vs lmn dominant ALS?

i am lmn dominant but they still called ALS. Of course I am FALS which isn’t part of the criteria but may have influenced things. Still here they tend to use ALS more as it gives access to benefits better.
hope the riluzole goes well

PMA

I’m posting this so other can see what I’m experiencing, and because I didn’t find much on PMA on this form.

2015 (late) A coworker of mine who is a health, exercise disciple, told me there’s something wrong with my walk, being an avid cyclist with strong legs and a hard worker I didn’t think much about it.

2018 (mid) I talked to my primary care physician about what I think is a right drop foot, he refers me to a back surgeon. Late 2018 I see the back surgeon who does x rays, MRI and refers me to a Neurologist to cover the bases. I see the Neurologist in October and he does my first EMG.

2019 (January) Back surgeon fuses LS5 to my Sacrum, school of thought was the deterioration in my back was cutting off the nerves to my right leg, I had no chronic back pain. I start using an ankle brace with a strap to my shoe which keeps me from tripping.

2020 CO VID lockdown so I didn’t do a follow up with my back surgeon.

2021(Spring) See my primary care physician and tell him that my right leg has gotten worse, with not much of a response. Start of summer I pursue an outdated prescription for an ankle brace that I got when the back surgery was done. This sends me back to the back surgeon which does x rays, MRI, with a diagnosis of “we don’t see anything wrong with your back”, they dig through my chart and find the report from my first visit to the Neurologist, which was “This could be the onset of a neurological disorder”. They refer me to the Neurologist who does my second ECG and strongly recommends I get a second option. Within a week (miracle) I’m in UC Health in Denver, first day was observations and the physician didn’t think it was ALS because of my upper body strength, she double booked her schedule to see me the next day. ECG was done on my right leg and arm with a diagnosis of PMA, I have nerve lose to my arms, but I don’t have the upper markers so I’m not ALS. I do a follow up with my Neurologist who starts me on Riluzole, and sets me up to start Physical Theraphy and seeing a Pulmonologists.

I get my first orthotic brace for my right ankle, two months later I have one for the left ankle.

We sell our two-story house, sell the RV and move into independent living, the stairs in the house where to much, loading and driving the RV got to be too much.

I’m turned down for any (ALS) clinical studies at UC Health because I don’t fit the time line and I don’t have the upper markers, PMA and not ALS, joking I tell people I’m not dead enough.

2022 The spring of last year I would have told you that I though I’d be in a wheel chair by the end of the year, and I would be happy to see my 70th birthday. Well! I’m still walking, I use a cane, my right leg is all but gone and I have to watch it, the left I can still curl my toes down somewhat. I can lift things with my arms but my legs won’t support much weight. Big box stores I use an electric cart because my legs tire quickly.

Seeing my Neurologist every 3 months, I’m using that as a bench mark.

Each morning is a new day and I try to enjoy it as much as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:
You really got the run around. ALS can start anywhere. Mine started in my left leg. Unfortunately, most clinical trials require symptom onset <24-36 months.
I was originally told PMA, but that it usually turns into ALS. Some doctors call it lower motor neuron ALS. Prognosis is the same. I am on Radicava as well as many supplements.
I also go to UCHealth.

Hi yes I attended the neurologist at the MND clinic in Queen Square London. They think that my leg numbness and spasms are from my disk ops and damage caused in those op. My arms onset started in 2020 May with hand locking and spread up my arms and now in the other. She told me PMA as my strength still there and no chronic markers on test that you see in ALS as of yet. I am totally confused with it all to be honest.

ALS is diagnosed by ruling out other diseases. Not sure what markers they are looking for.

Hi Nikki,
I'm still learning about the different signs and markers. I had a spinal operations they think that the issues in my leg and ankles and feet on both sides as that went numb and has caused a hell of a lot of pain since since, it's now also on the left foot but she said there is no from what she can see of wasting of the legs, although I do get a lot of spasms in my toes my ankles and my calves. To me my legs look thinner. She called it Motor neuron disease (primary muscular atrophy variant) Yes it's an MND clinic.

It's shame she explained it like that to me :( I thought this was super slow but now after reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back