PALS
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Hi forum friends,

I have not yet been diagnosed with ALS, but I do have upper and lower motor neuron damage as witnessed by my troubles walking (spasticity) and balance and most of all EMGs.

I got a terror running through me (literally) when I realized that I *may* have another sign - it's not trouble swallowing, it's just that I'm aware of something in my throat when I swallow.

It has come and gone and I used to think it was allergies.

Please tell me how to define "trouble swallowing".

I'm so full of fear and need some comfort.

Karen

Hello Karen,
I can only tell you my experience with swallowing. I can only swallow puddings and shakes now. My problem did not start with "feeling something in my throat when I swallow". Does that happen when you are not swallowing food? The only time I feel like something is in my throat is immediately after I swallow something if it does not go down as quickly as it should. Is what you feel more like what we would say was "a lump in your throat" that is there when you are not eating? That does not happen to me! Could it just be nerves?
The only words of comfort I have is try to stay positive, you have not been diagnosed yet, maybe it is not ALS. If it is, you will find that you are not alone. Everyone here is a great help.
Easier said that done, but try to relax and be positive and ENJOY TODAY! Hug those that you love.
Hugs and prayers, Leah

Oh dearest Granny,

Your reply brings tears to my eyes. You are wonderful!

I am aware of my throat when I swallow. It isn't difficult to swallow, but I feel like there is something in there.

I don't think it is nerves - though understandably it could be - because I have had this for years on and off.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Karen

DesertWoman said:
Oh dearest Granny,

Your reply brings tears to my eyes. You are wonderful!

I am aware of my throat when I swallow. It isn't difficult to swallow, but I feel like there is something in there.

I don't think it is nerves - though understandably it could be - because I have had this for years on and off.

Thank you so much for sharing your experience.

Karen

Hello,
It sounds like you are having the same throat thing i am. The feeling is ALWAYS there whether eating or just breathing and swallowing. I hope the doctors find your problem to be allergies or some other treatable thing. But that symptom mixed with many others,, caused the doctors to already diagnose me with Bulbar ALS. Theres little we can do except hang in there and try to stay positive.

Love and Prayers
Marlo

I'm so sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed. It is the most frightening thing I have ever experienced.

I'm hoping this is just allergies which traditionally are high right now. I had this problem 4 years ago and it went away and then came back again.

Karen

When I was first diagnosed in 03 I had 2 episodes of choking on food. I thought I would die at the time of the 2 incidents. I haven't choked since. (touch wood) I was scared to death and scared of death. I got over the worries after a while. Worry about the things that you can do something about not the things you have no influence over. It's not easy but it can be done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back