Diagnosis
12/2001
Country
US
State
Florida
City
Ruskin
iF ONE READS ALL THESE POSTS ABOUT BEING DIAGNOSED WITH PLS. AND FINDING SO MANY DIFFERENT SYMPTOMS ,SOME WITH FAST PROGRESSION SOME WITH SLOW ,SOME WITH LOCALIZED IN ONE AREA SOME WITH MULTIPLE AREAS . BUT WITH FEW WITH EXACTLY THE SAME ,THIS WOULD LEAD ONE TO SAY ,WHEN DIAGNOSING AND NONE FIT IN THAT PERVERBIAL BOX . ONE HAS TO LOOK OUTSIDE THE BOX . IN ORDER TO FIND OUT WHAT A PATIENT HAS YOU FIRST HAVE TO FIT THEM INTO A BOX THAT THEY FIT IN . ANOTHER WORDS ,IF A PERSON HAS ARTHRITIS THEY HAVE SPECIFIC SYMPTOMS SPECIFIC TO ARTHRITIS . NOW WE TAKE LETS SAY 400 PATIENTS AND NOT TOO MANY HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME SYMPTOMS . SO WE TAKE THE ONES WHO HAVE THE SAME SYMPTOMS ,PUT THEM INTO A CATEGORY AND LOOK FOR A DISEASE WHICH FITS THAT CATEGORY . SINCE NOT MUCH HAS BEEN DONE IN THE FIELD OF NEUROLOGY AND NEUROLOGICAL DISEASES ,THERES VERY LITTLE KNOWLEDGE BASE TO DRAW FROM . SO YOU END UP WITH ALOT OF CONFUSING SYMPTOMS WHICH DONT FIT INTO A SPECIFIC BOX .SO THE PATIENT UNLUCKY ENOUGH TO GET ONE OF THESE . IS IN LIMBO AND YOU GET ONE DOC. SAYING ITS ALL IN YOUR MIND AND ANOTHER SAYING YOU'LL BE DEAD IN 2 YEARS AND NONE REALLY KNOWING FOR SURE . THE BRAIN IS A VERY COMPLEX MACHINE WHICH NOT MANY HAVE A GRASP ON YET . THE ONE OR FEW PROFESSIONALS THAT ARE WILLING TO THINK OUT OF THE BOX WILL COME UP WITH THE SOLUTION . GEO

Great article, Al

Alright Al .i Have To Give My Congrats On A Good Article . Hope This Does'nt Die On The Vine . I Had Read An Article Last Year On Alzheimers And Neurodegenerative Diseases And Kdi Tri Peptides .but It Died I Keep Calling There Wandering When Their Going To Do It .johnny B Byrd Institute . But Congrats On A Fine Article .geo

antibodies

Hi Al,I read this article when it came out the other day,a friend of mine pointed it out to me.Yes they are thinking "outside of the box" - somewhat -but they are still stuck on the gene mutation Sod-I,which is acclaimed to be causative in FALS.So far there is no positive indication that this mutated gene is in the sporadic form of ALS.Also if Sod-I was the sole cause for FALS,then researchers should have found the elusive cure. The antibody may have promise ,but even in the article in the Star it is not quoted as being a cure,only a starting point.So there still seems to be a long elusive search ahead!Perhaps researchers should get beyond the Sod-I mutated gene (without abandoning this research) and move on to other considerations.There is an interesting post on the ALSTDF Forum,"September ALS Newsletter" (1-8 pgs) at http://www.als.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=1877 Sadly the post is regarding some inefficient research on Sod-I.Perhaps we are not far enough "out side the box" because the long term study using Sod-I in an attempt to try and solve the issues of SALS (as well as FALS and perhaps other mnd.s) has strained both the finances as well as the resources in the quest for a cure to this condition?Seems to me if you keep looking for a" Tree in a Forest ...you are going to find one."It is all frustrating beyond belief! Really hope these people are headed in the right direction.Manfred

It wasn't really explained well in the article but these are relatively new researchers. Here in Canada to get funding for research from the Gov't you have to have a published peer reviewed paper. The catch 22 is how do you research with no money because you haven't published a paper because you don't have the money for research? These people as of this date to my knowledge are relying on private funding. And not that much yet.
AL.

I beleive alot of work is done by students in the Different Colleges ,like Northwestern Univ. The Grad students do 98% of the lLab workups and are overseen by a PHD who is overseen by a head of dept. and then it goes to another dept. which is overseen by a PHD who is specializing in this particular study . So when it cost you $38,000 per year to send your child to College, you have some idea where we are headed . I would have thaught i would have at least got a Tee Shirt for my 38 grand per year to send my daughter . HMMMMMM Geo

Don't you get good seats at the football games though?
AL.

Not Really Al, Wish i did Not even a Thank You or a Kiss . But What Elase do you do for your Kids HUH Geo

Well a good education is enough but good seats at the football games should be a requirement. Even if the team isn't that great.
AL.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back