Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
ct
City
middletown
My boyfriend has had difficulty with speech x 2 yrs now. 4 clean EMGs. No other symptoms but spasticity in vocal cords and tongue. He just started botox injections and has been put on baclofen. Questioning PLS vs spasmonic dysphonia. Has anyone started with just speech problems? Could this still be ALS? Thanks for any info.

I'm not sure what your definition of a clean EMG is. People with PLS show no evidence of lower motor neuron disease but may still lose the use of their legs as the disease progresses. Intermittent slurring of speech was one of my early symptoms. I have always had a slow speech pattern so thought it was just because I was overtired. I also had intermittent problems with slight toe drop on the right foot and back pain, though.

I started last year with having to clear my throat all the time & then started having problems swallowing. After test with ear nose & throat dr who found nothing I was sent to neurologist. My EMG was ok also and have no problems with my arms & legs yet, however, ,my speech is now almost inaudibl and the swallowing is very bad, lost lot of weight. In process of getting feeding tube and an Ipad that talks to communicate. What does the botox do? Good Luck to you and keep in touch please. I was diagnosed with PLS in January of this year

I know that an EMG only shows LMN involvement. PLS is UMN disease. I was wondering from your initial symptom how long did you develop more. Botox relaxes the muscles. If you have spasticity botox will decrease it because it paralyzes the muscles. I'm sooo sorry hang in there and thanks for your advice. Are your muscles tight?

I have a document of information I got from various websites on PLS it states this about mouth issuse and PLS "Less commonly, PLS begins in the tongue or hands, and then progresses down the spinal cord to the legs." Do a search on Bing and it will bring up a lot of good places plus the quote the Mayo clinic right on Bing to read. Hope all goes well with you. Still waiting from final test results to rule all other things out before officially being diagnosed with PLS. I still do not fully believe I have if as my symptoms change with position and I cannot believe that symptoms a deficiency of neurons in the brain would be affected by postion. A spine issue would. Sincerely Brother Rock p.s. I just want a CORRECT diagnoses.

now i understand brother....you have not been diagnosed..ed yet,,,gotta warn you pls is not easy for the neuros to diagnosed,,,,,,could actually take years,,,,,,,frustratiun is the name of the game.....but, u never know u could have something very treatable,,,good luck. johnny.....

Regarding differentiating between PLS and spasmonic dysphonia, a movement disorder neurologist might be able to shed some light on it for you.

This type of neurologist is its own category, and would see patients that have spasmonic dysphonia, Parkinson's, etc.

Thanks everyone for your advice. Another botox injection so we will see if it helps. Guess if its PLS botox really won't help thats what the ENT said. But it will work with SD. Brother rock, I don't know what your symptoms are however position definitely would not effect PLS but would if the spine was involved. Did you have an MRI of your cervical/lumbar spine? Any narrowing, disc or compression on spinal cord?

Re: PLS?

My boyfriend has had difficulty with speech x 2 yrs now. 4 clean EMGs. No other symptoms but spasticity in vocal cords and tongue. He just started botox injections and has been put on baclofen. Questioning PLS vs spasmonic dysphonia. Has anyone started with just speech problems? Could this still be ALS? Thanks for any info.

I found a lot of information on the web about PLS and the problems you stated are problems that a smaller percentage of people start with - "Less commonly, PLS begins in the tongue or hands, and then progresses down the spinal cord to the legs." Just Bing or Google PLS and read away. Hope this helps.

Sincerely

Brother Rock

Well I talked to my doctor at Cleveland Clinic about the results of my spinal tap and blood test. He said there was nothing at all significant found. So that means to me that he is going to confirm his diagnose as PLS. I still am not convinced I have PLS. I have stated many times before that I do not have the symptoms that are described on this site. Yet there is no other disease that he knows about that could cause me the problems I have. I am just so frustrated again that I have the issues that I have and nobody can figure it out what it is for sure so I am labeled as having PLS. I feel so bad when I see what you all are suffering through. I only hope that you can get the peace that I have in my heart through my faith in God. My attitude is if I have PLS then that is ok with me. Because God will be glorified by either miraculously healing me or by my attitude towards it as a witness to His mercy. My peace comes from this: Philippians 4:5-7 Let your reasonableness be known to everyone. The Lord is at hand; 6 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. 7 And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

so god wins if you win and god wins if you lose.......sounds fair to me, not........johnny

so god wins if you win and god wins if you lose.......sounds fair to me, not........johnny

God wins all the time. After all - He IS God. :-D A fair and just God. I do not fear death because of Him. I have peace because of Him. I am not a loser here. I am a winner here. I am at peace. Thank you Yahushua. :D

How long did you have symptoms before PLS was diagnosed? It is my understanding that it takes several years to diagnose? Sya, did he see an ENT already to be sure of their diagnosis? Swallow study and all that?

brother rock...if you got pls you is a loser.........and your god will have let you have it....why.......i have no fear of death either........what is god ...a sounding brass or a tinkling symbol...or a cure for mnd........johnny..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back