Diagnosis
09/2020
Country
US
State
PA
City
Jermyn
I have been having neurological issues for about 4 years. It started with weakness in one leg and a drop foot that we thought was related to a back injury. A short time later I began having muscle spasms in my legs and ribcage that woke me up almost every night and balance issues. I have seen 3 neurologists and 2 rheumatologists (I have a previous lupus and sjogrens duagnosis). I was being treated for ms .....mostly because they did not know what was going.....until this past September. I am now being treated at Johns Hopkins and their thinking is that this is motor neuron disease. Since I have been symptomatic for almost 5 years now and don’t show any lower motor neuron deficits right now they are leaning toward PLS. As many of you probably know there is not much info or support out there for this disease. I am happy to have found this forum. God bless all of you who are dealing with these diseases....you are all in my prayers.

sorry to welcome you here, but you will find others in your situation and many who understand.

Sorry you have to join us Also sorry you had a long road to finding out what is wrong. I hope when you say you are at JHU you mean their ALS clinic? They are excellent diagnosticians. if you are five years without lmn signs then I think the provisional diagnosis of PLS becomes stronger. Is that what they said?

we do have some folks with PLS here. You have some unique challenges as well as sharing some with those with ALS. PLS people are welcome to post in any of the subforums but you might want to browse the old posts on the PLS subforum when you get a chance.

Thank you.....I will look for the old posts. Yes....they are thinking that because the symptoms started at least 5 years ago it is most likely PLS. They have put me on Riluzole to slow progression. There is not much out there on PLS. I am glad to have found this site. Just trying to learn as much as I can. Thanks again for reaching out.

I have moved some posts to a new thread PLS and Riluzole
as they are more general so not to hijack here

I was dx with pls in 2000 but changed to slow progressing ALS five years ago. I have lost my speech, no balance, arms and hands are very weak, wheelchair for 15 years, no coordination, leg weakness, spasms all over, cannot move or pickup feet.

Hi Jan, welcome! I have a working ”Probable PLS” diagnosis right now. They won’t call it definite until they’ve seen my symptoms longer and confirm I haven’t developed any lower motor neuron issues. I’ve been working with neuromuscular neurologists for about a year, but have had sporadic symptoms for about 3 to 4 years. You’re right that there is not a lot of info out there on PLS. My primary physician said she hadn’t even heard of it. I’ve found some good info here, as well as a few PLS Facebook groups, which are a little more active in regards to PLS specifically. It’s a hard diagnosis. My original neurologist at first was just sure I had MS, until all tests for that came back negative. My neurologist at UCSF recently told me it’s not unusual for them to see people with MND that also have additional autoimmune issues, so it’s not surprising that you have had a few things going on. These darn bodies! Welcome again and feel free to reach out anytime!

Jan, if your symptoms are unusual and slow, be prepared for the possibility a long period of uncertainty and a periodic call for a rediagnosis. I'm in year 5 of symptoms and am slow progression and have enough anomalies they have run tests to see if it might be something else (results were inconclusive). I'm learning to live with the uncertainty. Good luck!

I was diagnosed with PLS in 2011 after about two years of wondering what was wrong with me. I probably had my first symptoms 20 years before that when the right side of my back seized up and my right leg was partially numb and very painful after a hard day of typing. (before all offices had computers) My doctor prescribed pain killers and muscle relaxers and sent me to physical therapy. After a few weeks of PT, I recovered. I had a similar experience 15 years later, and went to PT again. The therapy again relieved the symptoms. I had occasional back pain and problems with dragging my right foot but attributed that to old age and possible arthritis. By about 2009 I had developed a constant limp and described my right leg as feeling like a wooden peg leg. I saw my PC who referred me to a neurologist. He did some denervation testing and a blood test targeting deterioration of the myelin sheath covering the nerves to rule out MS. I think he was on the right track but got discouraged when he wouldn't refer me to the nearest muscular disorder clinic, so I switched neurologists. I also had a CT scan of the head which showed no abnormalities.

I eventually got a referral to the ALS Clinic at OHSU in Portland, OR where I had an EMG that showed no lower motor neuron involvement. I was given the tentative diagnosis of PLS by a young woman, a recent Harvard graduate. She was very knowledgeable but hadn't had much experience with patients and basically told me I could go home and get in a wheelchair and wait to die.

However, life goes on. I always had a very mild speech impediment and started slurring my words early in the progression. Ten years later, at 81, very few people can understand anything I say, I can walk only about 30 feet with a rollator walker, am housebound mainly because it takes so much effort to get ready to go anywhere. I manage the bathroom, get dressed and undressed on my own, and still work a few hours per month. I require help getting in the shower (someone has to lift my right foot) and with nearly everything else. On the brighter side, my general health is good. I've only been seriously ill one time in 10 years and have not been hospitalized.

Every case is different. I seem to be able to keep going by taking a few weeks of physical therapy every couple of years. I'm eligible to have a therapist come to my home. I have two caregiver/housekeepers who are here 2 to 3 hrs. 4 days a week. My long-term goal is to avoid the nursing home.

Jan, I'm sorry you have to be here but am glad you found this site. Best of luck to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back