Pls help. Does this sound like als? Opinion pls.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aga5825

Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
Thank u for taking the time to read. About a month and a half ago I started experiencing tingling/burning all over. Arms, legs, back. Etc. My dr. Said anxiety since I was upset about something at the time. Then about 3-4 weeks ago it changed and I started getting weakness in my arms and legs. No more tingling. Feels like I just got done a good work out. On both arms and legs. Weakness feeling. Heavy. My face- on my cheek bone area I get a weird sensation sometimes like a tingling feeling. I have since been having muscles twitches all over that come and go. I have also lost almost 15 pounds since this started and loss my appetite. I am so very worried it’s the start of ALS. I can’t stop googling my symptoms. Does this sound familiar to anyone? Does ALS start in weakness of ALL limbs?? Or is it more sudden and noticeable?

Thank u for your reply. I did start some meds for anxiety. They take a few weeks to kick in. I dont know how I got on this als kick. I put in symptoms of weakness, losing weight, twitching and it came up and I ran with it. Anxiety is terrible. Als presents differently? Correct? Like the inability to do something.. not just feeling weak? I appreciate your response.

From the link provided above:

Clinical Weakness—ALS is about failing, not feeling.
ALS is about failure—falling down, being unable to stand on your toes or heels, being unable to button your shirt, being unable to lift your hand, being unable to open a ziplock bag, etc. It is not about these things becoming more difficult. It is about these things being impossible… no matter how hard you try. If you can do normal things, but it is more difficult, you do not have ALS. If you used to be able to do 100 curls and now one arm can only do 50; that is not ALS. If you used to run 2 miles and now you can only run 1; that is not ALS. If you used to run 2 miles and now you can’t lift up one of your feet, you may have clinical weakness.

It really does happen that something stops working all of a sudden. It is generally one muscle so it will not be a whole limb, but the movement done by that muscle is suddenly gone. An example is a calf raise. It won't happen. Think of it like your wifi signal. You are surfing the net, then signal is lost and you can't do anything online no matter how hard you try or how long you wait for a page to load. This is what happens to a muscle in beginning ALS it has lost the signal from the nervous system that tells it to work. First it is one muscle, then another ,then another so the things you can’t do increase. This is why you see progressive weakness mentioned

I encourage you to work with your doc beyond the thought of anxiety because that does not normally lead to a 15-lb weight loss. You could have a virus or infection. But there is no reason to worry about ALS.

Best,
Laurie

Please read the post you were linked to as it says you must read it before posting. It does answer you, but it seems your anxiety is so high that you can't sit still long enough to read something that would calm you, only things that will alarm you more.
That is something that can be treated, but you may need more help than just medications.
You are not presenting a single ALS symptoms. There are forums and groups for anxiety and you would get more appropriate support there. I truly wish you the best, the great news is that your anxiety is completely treatable no matter how it feels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back