9/2017
Country
US
State
MO
City
Saint Charles
Does weight training help with PLS?

It seems to keep me strong and I have had very little weakness with my PLS. The only negative is that it makes my stiff legs even more stiff. This is because I have the stiffness from the exercise on top of the PLS stiffness.

I hope to hear form TxRR, and others, who were avid weight lifters before diagnosis. Has it helped and are you still do weight training.

I was weight training before diagnosis just to try to maintain my muscle mass as I grew older. Currently I am 58. Diagnosed a year ago, symptoms for 6 years. My goal is still to maintain muscle mass and strength. It also gives me a good feeling that I can still bench press over 100 pounds, like I could 5 years ago. No world record, but helps me worry less about ALS.

Thanks,
Joe

My Certified ALS Clinic says strength training on affected muscles should not be done. Cleveland ALS Clinic also has something on their website.

PLS has different rules and as discussed in the other thread there is research calling into question the old rules for ALS. Dr Maragakis is from Hopkins coauthors were from other institutions including Mass General.

dldugan, this poster has PLS, which is a bit different than ALS when it comes to exercise restrictions and issues. If you look below their profile name, you'll see their declared diagnosis. This post is also in the PLS subforum, which provides a space for PLS specific issues to be discussed.

Morleyde- TxRR has not visited the forum since 2016, so they may not reply.

I was not an avid weight lifter before diagnosis, but certainly did use weight training as a large component of cross training for my sport to improve performance and prevent injury. I sure enjoyed it more than running for cardio fitness, but did find it a bit boring. A point of pride for me was managing a 340lb leg press consistently after an ACL replacement and when I finally got serious about cross training as further injury prevention. That might not be a big deal to larger dudes, but for a wee old lady like me, it provided a huge sense of accomplishment!

Unfortunately, a couple years later I did experience a decrease in strength and increase in fatigue (one of the indicators something was wrong!) and have been unable to return to weights, even light weights, since my diagnosis- despite my trying every once in a while to see it things are different "this time". Exercise intolerance appears to be the name of the game for me. It's all passive ROM, stretching and a whole bunch of proprioceptive stuff for me now. Boring as heck, but I can still get around under my own steam and I think it's kept me upright for longer than expected for sure.

I know of MANY folks with PLS who continue to weight train, cycle, swim and exercise after diagnosis. Many feel it's why they maintain as much function as they do. There doesn't seem to be the same constraints as for those with ALS, but I gather care is still required. Your mention of stiffness and increased spasticity makes me wonder if you're pushing too much weight at a time.

Another thought- have you heard of eccentric weight training? My physio is a huge proponent of it. Are you on a self guided weight training routine, or are you under the care of a physio?

I say keep at it if it's making you feel good, but maybe fool around a bit with reducing weight , increasing reps and trying eccentric weight training if you aren't already incorporating that into your program to see if you can't reduce post-exertional spasticity. If it's transient increase in spasiticity and you return to a comfortable baseline within a relatively short period of time though, perhaps it's something you find tolerable in balance with the health benefits you're receiving otherwise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back