Status
Not open for further replies.
Patricia,

You definitely have very slow progression regardless of whether it is PLS or ALS. You can look on any site that talks about ALS and the life span is much shorter than PLS. Today people are living with ALS for much longer than previously however progression seems to be much faster than with PLS.

Just wondering if I was DX wrong My neuro never brouht up PLS. maybe there is a test for it or the EMG comes out different for PLS.

Pat

[QUOTE=Kenny H;50295]A few weeks ago, I posted a note about the effect of Nicotine on speech. I am currently experimenting with a 2mg nicotine lozenge. I originally tried smoking a pipe [which I used to do --tobacco, by the way] and the effect was amazing. I don't want to smoke tobacco on a regular basis, so I am trying the lozenge. I may move on to a patch and see what happens if I have a more steady, stronger doze. I know this sounds nuts, but I swear it works.[/QUOTE]

Please let us know what happens! I haven't had a cigarette in 27 years, but I got all excited when I read your first message, at the thought of enjoying a little nicotine again!

And, even more excited at the thought that there might be something that improves my speech.
BethU

BethU

Congrats on not smoking for that long! Unfortunately, I can't say the same. I smoke about 6 menthol cigarettes a day now, which is down from about 2 packs a day. I have quit off and on thru the years, and I even quit after my diagnosed of ALS back in June. However, when I went back to the ALS clinic visit and told my neuro I had quit, because I read that Rilutek was 20% less effective if the patient smoked, he said "well, the smoking won't really make a difference".

I guess I took that as my ticket to continue smoking. Not quite as bad as I used to be, but I do enjoy them, hate to say.

I was reading somewhere else about the "thick" saliva, mine is like copious (spelling?) amounts from a waterfall! But we continue to pray for a miracle-

Keep the faith,
brenda

Brenda ... six a day isn't bad at all! They can be very comforting and relaxing, and who deserves it more?!? I don't think I could control it, though ... I'd be back instantly to 2 packs a day. (But I do linger around people who are smoking outside of buildings, so I can get a whiff! Boy, it smells so good!)
BethU

BethU,
You are too funny. The weird part about my 6 a day, sometimes I don't even smoke on the weekends! Crazy, I know.

I also can't smoke indoors. I promised my hubby when we bought our farm 15 yrs ago that I would not smoke inside. Because of that, my sister no longer smokes in her home, and my brother smokes his pipe outside too.

I also enjoy standing outside with all the smokers at work, and just not smoking! Silly stuff, but I do find it relaxing, even when m y 17 yr old tells me that smoking INCREASES anxieity. I know all of that, our kids teach us so much, don't they?

Have a great week,
Keep the faith,
brenda

Brenda You have a smart one there, heed what he says . he's right . I use to go into houses as a Plumber everyday where people smoke in them . The walls are yellow Brown and your clothes smell of it . I was a smoker . got smart and quit . Never happier . I did it cold turkey . not easy though but made it 20 some years now and proud . I you have breathing issues (as some of us do) and smoke on top of it your not helping matters . Our bodies need everything they can Muster to get through this . Personally i would not encourage smoking by no means . I beleive this is a Plucebo affect at best . I wish you the best Geo

Geo,

Thanks so much-he is a smart one! And to think, I helped raise him!

Keep the faith,
brenda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back