Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
Ohio
City
Piqua
I remember about 3 1/2 months ago(mid february of this year) I got hit with sudden weak, stiff legs, which eventually progressed throughout my entire body. Within a week of the weak & stiff legs, I got a twitch on my right upper calf, which also spread throughout my entire body, including my tongue, within the same week. Some of these twitches I am able to see, but others are so minuscule to where I can only feel them. The twitches are pretty scattered(I can get one in my arm and then one in my leg immediately after).
During and after any form of exertion, I get severe tremors and an over-worked feeling. The twitches seem to be more frequent after said exertion. My arm can get tired from just brushing my teeth.
Yesterday consisted of a lot of walking, which I was capable of, but now my legs feel as if said "walking" shared equivalency of running a marathon, and also they are twitching more frequently(from my butt to my toes). I'm NOT dehydrated, I eat healthily and take Vitamin B12 Complex.
A little over a month into this mysterious onset, I took a trip to the neurologist, which provided me with a clean EMG and brain MRI. I've heard of clean EMGs(with weakness and twitching present) not being so great with precise outcomes.. Today I notice my neck being more stiff, kind of sore to lean my head back. If I lean my head to the right or left as much as possible, my neck provides me with a vibrational tremor type of shakiness.

I know you all must get exhausted from these posts....so I apologize in advance for this, but I would appreciate, more than you think, if I could get some reasonable opinions for if this could be related to ALS or not.

I have another neuro appointment with a new neurologist on thursday. YES, I have read the stickys...I'm unfortunately still not satisfied. Please respond

Another bothersome symptom of my seemingly poor health, which could or could not be related, is my heart tends to slam and sometimes get abnormally rapid. I have heart palpitations as well, which seem to increase sometimes after eating a big meal. The palpitations also seem to come on more right after I take a deep breath

More specificity to add:
Recently, off and on, stiffness has been occurring in my jaws after facial expressions that require them to be used.
High anxiety levels also seemingly amplify the twitches and stiffness, but it/they is/are always present. Every day.

Hello,

I do not want to seem rude or disrespectful toward you but, you have TWO open threads with basically the same subject on both and you've been given good advice by many people here who can hardly type or stare at a computer as PALS like myself and many others here are.

You don't have ALS, you aren't going to get ALS, and, frankly, you've got an anxiety problem you need to deal with rather than obsessing about every twitch and tickle.

Only a fool ignores his/her doctor and asks people on the Internet for medical advice.

The place that you should be getting information from about your symptoms is from your Doctors, not the Internet. If you are as frightened as you claim to be, you wouldn't be looking on the Internet. You'd be at a Doctor's office or at hospital emergency department, screeching for an answer until you get one.

You have a morbid fascination with serious illness that is not healthy and needs to be treated. Fix the problem between your ears and you may find your other problems easier to cope with. At this point, it surely can't hurt.

NH

Nighthawk, The last thing I want to be spending my time on is the enhancement of your turmoils. I'm too understanding to interpret you as "rude".. My morbid fascination is due to morbid progression of some not-so-pleasant symptoms combined with a morbid lack of clarification from my health care providers. I apologize for the chain of annoyance that I may have passed on to you, but please be more perceptive towards my curiosity.

I had sort of an epiphany with my original post, which is why I chose to create this one. Would you mind to spare me the energy of going further in depth of why you are so quick to be certain of MND being absent from my pond?

The Doctor's Office doesn't offer me much besides a follow-up in a month. The "Emergency Department" tends to offer me not a thing besides chemical imbalances within my brain. This is just like when I was having the worst pains of my life within my stomach...over a year of going in and out of these places, but i still experience that pain, to this day, as a mystery.

Only a dr is going to be able to answer your questions. We have tried to give you our advice and you are still convinced you have als. Only a dr can help you now. I pray you find your answers.

I am not CONVINCED I have ALS, but I am only trying to get an opinion of it being a rational possibility. I just walked to the gym, it was a long walk and i was fine. but when I got there to pick up a 12 LB dumb bell in each hand, my hand, forearm and bicep muscles felt like they were going to lock up after about 10 curls. could you please describe to me what the difference in ALS is compared to the symptoms I have listed?

obviously for someone to be certain or even THINK i do not have ALS, they would have to feel as if my symptoms vary from ALS symptoms. 'How do they vary?' is what i am looking for

Please do not calculate me based off of your past experiences with FOOLS on these forums. I ask of you, with desperation, to fulfill my desire listed above ^

If your ALS has progressed to the point of having twitches, you would have profound weakness by now. Lifting a cup of coffee would not be possible. By the time my husbands ALS had progressed to this point, we went to the ER, as we had no insurance. We had a D X of probable ALS within the first 30 minutes, and were admitted immediately, and left 7 days later with a D X of ALS. As someone who knows more than the majority of medical professionals, I do not think you have ALS. If you were a 40 yr old who was unable to open a bottle of water, that sounds like ALS. If you had an EMG that was problematic, that sounds like ALS. If you talked and walked like someone who had had a stroke, that sounds like ALS. If you were having trouble swallowing thin liquids, that sounds like ALS. If you were unable to walk up 5 steps without assistance, that sounds like ALS. Your troubles do NOT. sound like ALS.

Excuse, sadiemae, I don't mean to be rude, but when you talk about twitches, do you mean fasciculations?

I've rad conflicting information regarding fasciculations. Some medical websites categorize them as an early symptom, while others say they only show up after significant weakness in ALS.

Since I've been having non-stop fasciculations in both my calves (and definitely not as a result of exercise, I'm too lazy for that), I have no idea how much I should be concerned. My aunt suffered from ALS but I never asked her about her symptoms, all I knew was that she had arm weakness one day and it progressed from there.

I apologize for any rudeness in my question!

I started a thread called, BFS or ALS ,A Must read if you twitch. Can't copy it From my phone, but look for it, it is a good read. Fasticulations aka twitches are almost always a result of weakened muscles trying to repair the damage. Mist people are actually unaware of the clinical weakness they have. So many feel that twitches come first. Once the twitches go away, the muscles are dead and paralyzed. Notme also has a great thread about perceived vs clinical weakness. Patients D X perceived weakness, D rs D X Clinical weakness. When the fasticulations stop, you will begin to notice atrophy. My husbands started on his right side, then to his left about 9 months later. It rarely starts in both right and left at the same time. My husbands ALS had an onset of 10-07, didn't go to D r until 9-09, and by that time his ALS was D X immediately. For most people, ALS progresses in a slow but steady manner. Weakness, fasticulations, atrophy, severe weakness (paralysis). It usually takes years, not months for this to happen. With ALS, everyone is different, from time of progression to time of being unable to walk or eat or breathe without BiPap. My husbands FVC is steady at 68%, and he does not use Bi Pap. He is unable to walk, he can still eat by mouth. His hands do not work very good so I feed him. He does have. PEG, and we use it to supplement his diet. It is especially helpful in keeping him htdrated, as he has a hard time with liquids. He got his PEG 2 months after D X in 11-09, only been using it daily since 11-12. We thought his fasticulations came first before weakness, but we just didn't notice the weakness, we attributed it to other things. My husband (Les) is 48 yrs old.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back