Country
Uni
State
Cheshire
City
Knutsford
Hi.

Please bear with me here.

I am 39, male. Weight trained very seriously since 16 and in the summer weighed about 250lb. I have always been in perfect health until this year. Back in August I started getting muscle twitches randomly across my body and pretty bad fatigue, along with tight hamstrings. Obviously googling my symptoms lead to als and then the anxiety grew too. Saw a neurologist who pretty much laughed me out his room but he did send me for an emg for my own reassurance which showed as all normal. So I felt relieved for a while. A week or two later I started getting pre cramps in arms, hands and feet. I knew deep down this wasn't anxiety and something was wrong but I was hoping it wasn't anything serious. A week or two later I started getting clumsiness and some weakness in my left wrist\hand. Went to see another neurologist who said it's most likely nothing but sent me to an emg. This time it showed chronic and active denervation in my left forearm an right tricep. Because the denervation was localised they said no als and most likely my neck. Had a neck mri an my neck was fine. In the meantime some weakness in my right hand\wrist just like my left. A month goes past and nothing has changed. So I'm back to the Neuro again tomorrow. I'm obviously extremely concerned and also annoyed that the first emg showed nothing and the second two months later showed issues. How can that be? Secondly the fact they've not taken me seriously until now.

Moving on. For bodybuilding purposes I got a batch of growth hormone back in January and used it for two weeks before coming down with what I thought was the flu. I then discontinued its use. Two months later I used it again and had the same reaction. Pretty much the flu . Sore throat, malaise, fever, in bed for a few days and coughing\sneezing for weeks after. I then realised that the growth hormone must be responsible for both my illnesses in January and March and I did wonder whether it would have any negative effect on my long term health. Perusing the internet I could see one other person had the same reaction I did and it was cited that some batches of this product have been found to contain high levels of bacteria. So I began thinking whether the use of this product earlier in the year started and caused the symptoms I am now suffering from. Upon further research I found a link between Mycoplasma and neurological issues. It appears that the illness I had myself on both occasions was exactly the same as a Mycoplasma illnesses presents itself. My immune system went completely haywire both times. So as obscure as this all sounds I think it's totally plausible. The thought that I have potentially given myself a very serious condition\disease is quite terrifying. I have tried to get the growth hormone tested with no luck so far but will ask the Neuro tomorrow. I am also looking to have a blood test for Mycoplasma asap.

To me it seems almost impossible that I can be fit and healthy in the spring and then have all these symptoms a few months after being infected very badly on two occasions. Does anyone have any thoughts on my thinking? I never mentioned this to the Neuro before as they either laughed me out the room or were totally sure my issue was neck related. I am also amazed none of the neuros have asked whether I have suffered any recent viral or bacterial illness as there seems to be a link in many places between them and neurological issues.

Past thread here: https://www.alsforums.com/forum/do-i-have-als-als/43063-worrying-issues-three-months.html

Moo, this is a forum for people who have been diagnosed with ALS and their caregivers. You ask some interesting questions that have nothing at all to do with ALS and should be directed towards a doctor with access to your medical history and the ability to examine you in person. This forum is not really a place to gain any sort of meaningful information about unusual side effects of steroid use or what could happen if you were exposed to toxic agents from unregulated meds.

Sorry. Maybe it should be in another section of the forum?

I thought maybe people asked themselves how they think they may have got mnd and in my case, even though I haven't been diagnosed, I am keen to share my own experience and thoughts with other people as someone may be able to relate to my situation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back