Status
Not open for further replies.
sorry for cut and pasting, but wanted to give you the update. Thank you guys.....bunches and bunches. Soem of us are now praying that if Grandma cannot rally, that she go "HOME" to be with Jesus. She would NEVER EVER want to live in a nursing home. We've tried convincing her for years to move in with other relatives and she wants none of that! She checked herself out of the hospital after 4 days the last time she was in with a low potassium disturbance. She is the caretaker and has NEVER been a caretakee-

Love,
Cindy

Sort by: Date

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 14, 2009 08:08 PM, CST
Beginning to exhale.

Zach got his "real" cast on today and it is much more comfortable than the temporary thing he had been lugging around. He did break a growth plate, but it looks like if we could have hand picked a type of fracture, this particular one has the best chance at healing fully, so that is GOOD news. He is s trooper and hasnt complained much at all~ demanding to go to work, etc. In fact the night he broke it he, drove his stick shift from Terry Peak to----work. After his manager called (my niece- ha ha) and told Dan and I about it and Dan took him to the ER-he requested to go back to work, so instead I told him I'd pay him to come home for the hour 1/2 he had left.

My Grandma is in the hospital and did indeed have a major stroke. The last update we got was that she is not able to bear weight, has little movement in her arm- but thankfully her speech has been retained, though maybe a bit of slurring. Dan and I are planning to go see her this weekend. We don't want to overwhelm her with visitors to tire her out, but need her to know we are there for her. She has been beside so many people during horrific things and this is a time we will not let Grandma feel alone. There are many people covering our entire family in prayer and she is on lots and lots of prayer chains Grandma told me one time she prays for every single one of her children (3 living),grandchildren(23), great grandchildren(38) and great-great grandchildren(12) by NAME. I think we can certainly help her out by praying for her by name each time we even THINK about her!

We are still stressed, still worried but praying and helping one another through. Big hugs to all of my siblings,kids,nieces and nephews, cousins, Aunts and Uncles.

And to you my freinds-for your concern.

John 14:18
I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Cindy,

Thank you for the update. I'm hoping for the best for her!

Zaphoon

Thanks everyone for your love and concern. I took today off to regroup at Dan's suggestion. Been on the phone alot the last two days relaying information,etc. Today my sister is traveling up there and I am going to babysit her granddaughter (she's 5 and no trouble at all). Dan , the kids and I are heading up on Sunday. My gut doesnt ache like it did and I am thinking more clearly. The company I work for has the therapy contract at the hospital up there, so I am going to call and visit with them.
So---we are gonna have lots of car time the next week. 6 hours on Sunday (3 hours each way)
and next week to Colorado (6 hours to get there)

No sweat.

Cindy,

I happy you sound much better. Dan sounds very supportive as well.
Good luck with your trip on Sunday. Is the weather getting any better there? I guess you guys are used to it.

Here's wishing for a warm spell for your drive, nice dry roads, and good music.

Robert

Cindy, I'm glad you're feeling better about this. Its hard, and it doesn't help if well meaning people start pointing out how long our loved one has lived, or what a full life they've had. Those things may be true, but a grandma like that, is one no one would want to have this happen to.

Please have a safe trip when you go, and like Robert said, bring some good music along. ((hugs))

Cindy- hope you and your family and Grandma Ruth are having a better time of it by now. Be careful on those long snow-covered roads!
Hugs, Cindy

Thanks again one and all. Oh and again.

My Grandma is being transferred here on Mon. we hope. I found an open bed in a long term care facility I like and know the therapy staff well (they are my associates!), and the administrator pulled some strings to find her a PCP. Working in the therapy world has finally paid off.
My brother, one other family member yet to be appointed- and I are going to get her on Monday morning and transporting her via minivan- which could be interesting considering she cannot sit upright unassisted and it will be a 3 hour trip. My family really wants me to go along because of my background and I can "at least boss people around if nothing else." ( I am the youngest of 6 and have never had permission to boss people around, I might enjoy it)

Medicare does not pay for transprt and would cost 3,000 dollars to go via ambulance. Grandma is stable My poor Aunt from Oregon is trying so hard to coordinate everything there (she is w/ Grandma) and I am trying to coordinate the medical aspect here. I feel so sad that the life she once led is now over and a new chapter is beginning. I always believed she would pass peacefully in her sleep. But I am elated that she will be here- all 6 of us live here and all of our kids, etc and they decided it would be in her best interest. I have one cousin that lives in Pierre, but unfortunately has Lupus and cannot handle it all on her own. And yes- I have been tested for Lupus.

Then- pack on Tues and head out Wed. for Colorado. I am a bit worried that I will be way overdid- overdone-kaput by Wed. BUT I would move mountains for this woman if I could and this is one time I CHOOSE to overextend myself knowing full well that there may be consequences.

Thank you guys. Your friendship and understanding are definately a source of strength for me. I will miss you after my ALS clinic visit when I get the golden ticket and get all better, but may still stop in to say hi and send greetings from great adventures and check in on all of you.

Love,
Cindy

It sounds like even though it is such a difficult situation, it is working out in so many ways. How fortunate for your grandma that you have the work experience and connections to make all of this happen. And how fortunate for you too, to be able to contribute in such a meaningful way to someone who means so much.

Take care of yourself on the transport. No doubt you will overdo it, but when you finally get to lay down and rest you will feel sooooo satisfied and relieved. It will be worth it.

Lydia

Update:

We went yesterday (my brother, niece and I) to get my Grandma from Pierre and bring her to Rapid City. We only had to stop once on the way back for her to use the facilities, but it was a long tough 3 hour ride back. (we did have fun on the way up there, which was much needed) At this time she has 100% left hemiplegia, but hasnt lost any of her cognition, which makes it difficult. She isnt saying much- I think because her speech is affected-but when she spoke it was always somethng important. 2 weeks ago she was walking "uptown" carrying packages and refusing rides from folks with good intentions because she needed the exercise. Anyhow, when we did get her settled into the nursing home bed she concluded several times she wished she would have died. I can't blame her a bit. I guess its up to her whether she chooses to fight or not.
I am tired and sore as I knew I would be, but couldn't care less. Today I pack and leave notes for my neice who is house/dog/teenager sitting and we leave in the morning for our Colorado trip where they will tell me I DO NOT have ALS and of course have an exact answer for what I DO have and a treatment to begin.

we plan to return Fri night or Sat. morning. You guys be good while I am away!

Love,
Cindy

Cindy-
You take care of yourself, Godspeed, look forward to hearing good news from you over the weekend-
-b

Cindy,

Thanks for the update. I think we all know now where the saying "when it rains, it pours" comes from. I'll be thinking about you, and hoping for the very best of news.

About your grandma, she may be in a similar state as one that mourns the loss of a loved one, in that she's grieving over the loss of her independence. Give her time, I think she may very well come around to being if not happy, at least accepting that the "big one" didn't get her, and she's still around to be with her family. Change is hard.

You keep your chin up, and try not to over do getting ready for the trip, you've had a lot on you emotionally, and now I know you feel like you've got a lot riding on this trip and what you will be told. Remember, whatever you find, its already there, for good or bad, it doesn't change anything other than your odds for a better outcome if something treatable or non progressive is found.

big giant (((hugs))) to you!

I have all my fingers and toes crossed for you. Good luck! Also have my prayers.

Cindy,

Good luck with your appointment, I will be praying for answers of something treatable.

That's great that you didn't have a problem getting Grandma Ruth here...I'm sure you are happier that she is closer by.

Cindy,

We will all be thinking of you. Best of luck, and we'll await your update.

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back