Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
PA
I'm afraid about these symptoms that have been presenting themselves lately and would greatly appreciate some insight. Some background I’ve had some tremors in my hands for the last 10 years, but more so in my left hand for the last 1 yr and a half or so. My maternal grandmother passed away from ALS In her late 50s. I’m a 31 year old male. Recently I feel the tremors have gotten worse as of the beginning of last month and as of the last week my left hand has been shaking a lot more. The hand feels stiff when I open and close it, and the tremors become more exaggerated and there’s a dull ache when the hand is in a certain position and my forearm feels a little weaker when I hold things. Obviously I’m not a doctor, but it looks like there may be some atrophy between my forefinger and thumb which may be contributing to the weak grip that I’ve had over the last few years, but also is something I’ve read that can be a telltale sign in ALS patients. Also as of last month I started experiencing these vibrations in my left scapula that made it impossible for me to sleep. The onset would be most prevalent at night right before I went to bed. My scapula felt sore and the joints in my back felt rigid and stiff.

I read the vibrations could be due to a vitamin deficiency, so I started taking Magnesium glycinate, selenium, zinc, potassium, iodine, and the vibrations for the most part have stopped, but I’m still experiencing some stiffness and rigidity in my joints when I reach for things, bend over or sit down. I still get sore or stiff in the left scapula region, seems to come on more often after exercise.

I’ve taken trazadone on and off to sleep because I’ve been an insomniac for the last couple of years. If I sleep on my left side in certain positions my hand gets numb and I have to shake it out.

I can still work out, lift weights and run pretty much to the same extent that I’ve been operating over the last year or so. Grip in my left hand is weaker than the right, but as I’ve mentioned it’s been like that for years. In 2007, I did fracture my wrist and I’m not sure it healed properly. Also when I walk up a flight of stairs and get to the top my heart starts beating faster than normal, but I don’t really feel shortness of breath. This has been a recent occurrence.

When I’m sitting down and do calf raises when I lower my feet to the ground it’s a very jerky movement and causes my legs to shake. I walk and run normally.

Admittedly, I have anxiety and my mind races to the worst case scenario, but the anxiety may be high in part to me experiencing these symptoms.

I have an appointment scheduled with a neurologist in 3 weeks, but it feels like that’s an eternity while I’m going through this.

Thanks in advance for any insight or advice, and for those with ALS I can’t even imagine what you’re going through.

I’ve also noticed when I lift in my left arm there’s a jerky contraction in the forearm when I release which causes the arm to shake

Hi Juniperguy,

First off, please read this if you have not already done so: Important - READ BEFORE POSTING! Answers to common concerns about possible symptoms!

I don’t see ALS in your post. Tremors, shaking, buzzing, sore joints all point away from ALS. The fact you can “run and walk normally” is very reassuring.

Because of the tremors, it’s reasonable to see the neurologist just to find out what else may be going on. If the joint issues become prominent, getting checked over by a rheumatologist might also be helpful.

As I’m sure you know, anxiety can make all your symptoms worse.

When you see the neurologist, I would advise describing your symptoms and asking “what’s going on?” rather than asking if you could have ALS. You want them to approach your case with an open mind. Best of luck to you. I’m sure the neurologist will be able to reassure you that you don’t have ALS.

Familial ALS doesn't skip generations. If you had ALS in your family, you would have lots of people in your family who died of this beast. This is terrific news! So that puts you in the normal side of things, you have as much chance of developing ALS as the person sitting beside you on the bus.
Vincent

I appreciate the replies and the insight. I was concerned because of the perceived atrophy (don’t know if this the case or not until I see the neurologist), and my hand has this dull to mild pain where it feels like a cramp is oncoming, but it doesn’t fully manifest.

ALS does not manifest with dull pain nor with the other issues you have described. PT for the shoulder, an X-ray to confirm the wrist healing, if never done, and being screened for sinus tachycardia by your PCP are all thoughts. And a better mattress or pillow.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back