Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
WA
My husband is 44 and believes he suddenly has ALS. In reviewing the symptoms, he almost has every single one. It started with extreme lethargy and weakness in his hands. He explained his hands just stopped working right and he couldn’t grab things or hold onto things like normal. Then his legs felt like jelly like he ran a marathon. Then he noticed a few instances of slurring his words so he went to ER as it scared him. They did blood test, MRI and CT scan and told him to follow up with regular physician. Symptoms continue to worsen and now his forearms are weakened and he’s struggling with twitching in arms and legs and left ankle dragging a bit when he walks. He has bumped into things a couple of things while walking. Went to his regular dr and he just said he will refer him to a neurologist and to wait for his call. We are scared to death! Any advice??

I’m sorry your husband is having so many frightening symptoms. Over what length of time has he noticed these symptoms? Did his regular doctor find any evidence of weakness on exam?

There are still many possible explanations for your husband’s symptoms. Common things are common and ALS is an extremely rare condition. An evaluation by a neurologist is appropriate at this stage to evaluate for weakness, review the MRI results, and perform an EMG if indicated. But just know that ALS would be low on the list of possibilities.

Only in the last couple of months. It’s very sudden. The dr did not, just referred him out.

Neither the ED or pcp found weakness on exam? Or they did not examine him ( in which case shame on them!)

However as Karen said there are many things that need to be looked at and until he gets a proper examination please don’t focus in one disease. Approach the appointment ( which I hope is soon) with the question what is wrong and if you don’t know yet how do we find out? Take with you the discs from his ED scan and also a timeline of symptoms with concrete examples of what he can not do. There is a post in resources about getting a diagnosis which will help you organize

I wasn’t with him at the Dr appt but he said the dr didn’t do anything but refer him out! It’s so frustrating because all we can do is wait for the neurologist to call...meanwhile he’s getting worse

That is frustrating. Unfortunately there are primary care doctors who don’t do much of an exam but will refer out. At least you got the referral. When the neurologist office calls to schedule you, ask if you can be on a cancellation list for an early appointment (if the appointment they give you is too far out for your comfort).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back