Reason
Other
Country
Us
State
New york
City
Lancaster
Hello. I already apologise if this is the same old Post in different wording.

In January I experienced my first ever twitches. They came in both calves after a time of high anxiety. They have come and gone with anxiety and have been completely gone since July. While this was happening I went to my GP. I passed strength and reflex testing but was so worked up by Google, I myself made a neurologist appt. My gp said not necessary but might be ok for peace of mind. I went and he did less testing than my GP did. He did say I passed both but wanted to order an emg to rule out anything serious. Well I lost it. My husband was beyond furious I even went. He told me to cancel the emg and that he wasn't concerned with me having anything serious. He told me this is anxiety.
So after this ordeal (March this yr) I have felt weak in my right leg. I can't pin point a specific area.. it just feels very weak. It has gotten better at times but it is always there. I do tense that leg a lot when anxious. I have a small dent on the top.of that thigh as well. My husband says it's fat distribution. I have not fallen or failed at walking even though sometimes I feel like I could Bec my leg feels very weak and tired.

I think that the neurologist really effected my als fear with his emg comment. But I also trust my husband. I'd like to have someone tell me if I can be 100% over this fear since I have been carrying it since March.

Hi, Aria, it's not a question of trusting your husband or docs, but what the evidence is.

Weakness due to ALS does not get significantly "better at times" randomly.

Nor would it be in anything but a "specific area" since it's individual muscles that are affected. So you would notice flat out not being able to perform certain movements, and once you lost the muscle, it it would stay lost.

Finally, you haven't failed at anything, by your account, which is a good thing! And also argues against ALS. If you tense the leg a lot, of course, that is going to make movement "feel" different and it might really be worth it to get that area massaged.

Many of us have asymmetrical thighs so a "small dent" just doesn't mean anything, and the muscle at the front of the thigh does tend to be weak if walking is your main form of leg exercise.

But after you try massage, and the massage therapist can tell you if/as the muscle feels tight or inflamed (which has nothing to do with ALS, of course), you can also try exercising the legs specifically, perhaps getting started via a personal trainer so you do it the right way. That would help verify that you can gradually build up the muscles, and that might help you feel better. You might have a tiny muscle tear or inflamed area from all the tensing, so it is also good to keep hydrated and eat enough protein.

So if you are asking if your history sounds like ALS, the answer is no. But if you get your leg massaged/exercised and a medical professional tells you it's not responding normally, that would be the time to go back for the EMG. Until that point, which I very much doubt will occur, you have nothing to worry about.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie. When you mentioned after a medical professional sees it's not responding to do the emg are you saying to test for other problems or because you think if it's not responding it could be als?
Not trying to be a pain I just want to feel like I answered all my concerns.

And I do appreciate your entire response. I guess the last part has me questioning what you mean

As Laurie implied, you do not belong here.

But you do need to get your health anxiety under control.

Oh hi Greg sorry I just saw your post. It must have hit as the same time as my last.

Ok thank you.. I feel confident you just answered that last question :)

Thank you.

He did, indeed.

Laurie, thank you. You helped me a lot.

Yes I absolutely will work in my anxiety. Seeing a therapist.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back