Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
MI
City
Royal Oak
Hello I am a 23 year old male and I have been experiencing muscle twitches all over my body for about a month. I do not believe that I have weakness or atrophy but my muscles seem to be a little sore these days. I went to my GP about a week into the twitches and he said that it's just anxiety and after I get back from the vacation I just took I will feel better. Well the twitches haven't gotten worse but they haven't gotten better. I have some lower back pain but that was there way before the twitches. I don't know if this is related but a couple of days into the twitches I was sitting in a restaurant and had to leave because I had this burning sensation throughout the back of my neck, back and arms. I am in medical school now and this adds to my anxiety and stress. The twitches began after a week of studying, not getting much sleep and (I know it's bad) taking adderall and drinking caffeine. If I remember correctly, in undergrad, I experienced muscle twitches after a week of studying and staying up late with caffeine and adderall but the twitches went away after a day or so. I am worried that this is something serious. Any advice? Do you think it could have something to do with the adderall and caffeine? My GP took blood and did a CBC, electrolytes and thyroid test and everything came out normal. Please help....this is starting to consume my life....Thanks

Well we're not doctors here but stress and caffeine can cause quite a lot of symptoms. Did the GP mention benign fasciculations at all? Sounds like you have a lot on your plate so I'd guess something else other than a motor neuron disorder. AL.

good luck

:) Hi I am sorry to hear you are having such problems. I think you may be thinking the worst when it may be only a case of depression. Please take time for yourself everyday. See if that may help. I have a dad who has ALS and I have had many ups and downs the past couple of months. I had some twitching of my muscles and had lots of times when I was so sore I did not wish to get out of bed. It took all my energy to get my kids off to school then I would go back to bed and be depressed for many hours to follow. After I found out the hard way I decided to get more active in things! First thing I joined a gym. I work out 3-5 times weekly. Second made a scheudal to keep me focused on the positives in my life and my dads. It has been about 1 month since than I have much better days now and very little muscle twitches. Oh I also got a 1 hr massage to loosed tight muscles. That really helped. Good luck and keep us updated. Also good luck in school!

Heather

St3, it's more than likely benign...esp. med students. Benign Fasiculation syndrome is very prevalent in the med student field and can come with fatigue and cramps...

I don't know if Al will let this thru, but aboutbfs.com will tell you alot..

Your out of the age range for ALS which is comforting.

good luck

That seems like a pretty benign site. Jamie.

Al,

If you read up, up to 80% of BFS cases are with Med Students..interesting huh....must be because of the text avail showing problems with muscle twitches..good thing is they are benign and hopefully that's what st3 has.

Also, there is a featured article..."My not so near death experience"..it's good and encouraging for those with muscle twitches..

As I said earlier stress can cause a wide variety of problems and medical school would be right near the top of the list of stressors I would imagine. AL.

Thanks everyone for the advice....I have been working out a little and it seems to help somewhat. Also, I took some Xanax to help with my anxiety and it has also helped a little. I have a neuro appointment on Tuesday so hopefully he will help to figure out what is going on. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back