Learn about ALS
Country
US
State
VA
City
Alexandria
Hiya,

I'm a 21 y/o female, been having some health anxiety about ALS lately. I wouldn't call myself a hypochondriac, because I've only started to becoming more cogniscent of my body since my diagnoses with PCOS. That caught me off guard, and has made me feel really insecure about my health.

Anyways, I'm overweight, and have been having fasiculations since puberty I'd say. They usually start when I get dehydrated, and dissipate within a matter of days. However, I got some really weird ones (which have since disappeared) which led me to Dr. Google. That's when I learned about ALS.

Since then (about 2 weeks ago), I've been feeling fatigue in my arms, calfs, and front legs (maybe due to anxiety, I am not sure, but I will not lie, I have been having a lot of attacks). And now, when I wake up in the morning, the front of my neck feels constricted and by the end of the night I can't even take deep breaths.

I'm aware that this might sound weird, but please do not dismiss my plea because of my age, ALS has been diagnosed in women of this age before. Some details about myself: No family history of ALS (though I don't think this is important as ALS can strike anyone), heavier (BMI 29), and born and raised in India.

I appreciate your help, really.

What did your doctor say?

ALS is a diagnosis of EXCLUSION. There is no test yet to determine if you have ALS, so your neuro has to eliminate EVERYTHING else that has similar symptoms. I probably had twenty blood tests to rule out hormone and vitamin disorders, cancers, infectious diseases, myopathies, MMN and other nerve disorders and much more. Then you have to eliminate disc and spinal canal problems with MRIs and consults with neuro-surgeons. Then there are NCSs and EMGs, and after the months that span these tests, your neuro may be down to 2, 3 or 4... but maybe he will still have more. It is a long, tedious process. It's not like going to a dermatologist and having him diagnose a rash.
ALS is a diagnosis of exclusion. If you haven't had the above tests to eliminate all the much more likely problems, then, IMHO, you should be scared about having ALS. It's not even in the ballpark yet. Relax. Of course, see your doctor if you think there is something wrong, but being scared at this point will only cause all kinds of other symptoms. Good luck.

I honestly feel your pain I dont have ALS either but am terrifiedddddddddddddddddddddd ive had the falcitations for a month now, left arms and leg hurting...they feel like they're weak but 4 pcp's and 2 neuroligists said they arent. I have a nerve test coming up on the 6th. I have asked all my doctors about ALS they said no no no. I wont be satisfied till the answers come back from the nerve test though. ALS is something that people find out about through google and it sticks in your head. I did get diagnosed with fibo 2 weeks ago, and my neuro thinks i have carpel tunnel in my arms. soooooooo ask your doctor about fibo, anxiety and BFS =)

If you need anything make sure you let me know, we can go through the fear together =)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back