Reason
Other
Country
US
State
La
City
Baton Rouge
I’m 24 years of age, Caucasian female. I had a baby 7 months ago. I have been having very strange symptoms for about three months. I have seen a cardiologist, Gi doctor, pcp. Basically I twitching all over my body while I am resting, so if I’m laying low or sitting down my muscle twitches, sometimes it moves my foot or leg like when you are falling asleep. I also noticed for some time now I get VERY EASILY winded. If I’m arguing or even simply talking to someone I find myself needing to take a deep breath of air. I have also had a weakness feeling in my left hand/arm. I mentioned how I had a baby because I do carry him a lot of the day, make bottles, carry his car seat etc. I’m just really nervous because of the muscle twitches while at rest and the fact that I become easily winded. I have suffered from anxiety my whole life and never had twitches that I was aware of. Could this be a new anxiety symptom along with shortness of breath? Even when I’m not anxious? Please help me. I have an appointment with neurologist Tuesday but can’t stay off google. Did anyone have similar symptoms to me?

Yes, twitching can be caused by anxiety, too much caffeine, dehydration, not enough sleep.....the list goes on.

Your doctor will examine you so please be reassured when he/she tells you it is something other than ALS.

Feel free to come back after you've seen a neurologist and report what he/she says.

In the meantime, stay off Google and focus on your baby.

Absolutely nothing you describe smacks of ALS. Zip. Nada. :)

It DOES however sound like your experiencing some type of anxiety, especially considering your past anxiety and your current post-partum state.

But that's just wild guesswork on my part: I know squat about depression. :-(

However I am pretty familiar with ALS, so please listen when I suggest that you look elsewhere. :)

THank you guys very much for the response! I know it’s a big eye roll moment to read these type of post but to me it is very real, although I know maybe unnecessary. One question; I am very fit, non smoker, even when I did smoke (quit day I found out I was preggo 1.5 years ago) I NEVER experienced shortness of breath from simple activities such as walking around block with my baby, or even just talking to someone. Should this be a symptom I should worry about? Since it is just starting up and happens during very little exertion? Not trying to be annoying just my anxiety thoroughness...thanks again. I will def post everything doctor says as well!

Should you be concerned about shortness of breath with regard to ALS? No.

Should you be concerned as a matter of general health? Ask your doctor.

Were you screened for RLS or another sleep disorder? You could ask the neuro about that. Pregnancy can deplete iron stores so a multi with iron probably couldn't hurt. In fact, babies keep you from full nights of sleep and some people do better with that than others.

Totally agree that ALS does not seem to be anywhere at the table.

Enjoy your son!

Best,
Laurie

Thank you all again for the taking time out of your life to help me. It has helped! And no mam, I have not been screened for that although I will ask my doctor about it!

My first symptom was shortness of breath, then twitching which anxiety and depression followed. From my reading the onset I am experiencing isn't common but it does happen.

Have your family doc get you into a neurologist, then get a second opinion from a different hospital. It's the onlybeay to rule it out and it's a process. I'm sorry.

My first symptom was shortness of breath, then twitching which anxiety and depression followed. From my reading the onset I am experiencing isn't common but it does happen.

WT:
This may well be true (I've no reason to think otherwise) but with no disrespect, your path to diagnosis was a bit tortured.

Boston:
View WT's history, symptoms and conditions before becoming worried. :)

But as WT and others have recommended, do follow up with your Doctors, at the very least to put your ALS fears to rest.

I just went back and read his symptoms. From what I’m understanding it started with a twitching in his eye and extreme shortness of breath? My question is was your shortness of breath only during times of physical exertion even small? I wouldn’t say I’m gasping for air but I am definitely winded. Considering my weight and height are very healthy etc this is weird to me. When I’m laying on my back I do not get short of breath, when I have to carry around my 25 pound baby I don’t necessarily get short of breath but sometimes I do feel winded. I’d say it’s most noticeable when I am talking. I have always been a talker, always have had doctor diagnosed anxiety, but I never can remember becoming winded so easily when just talking to someone. When I get angry and I yell, like during an argument etc, I sometimes can’t even talk because I’m so out of breath I need to breath. Does any of this sound similar to your symptoms? Or was your shortness of breath constant? I am a bit worried now unfortunately but I do have an appointment with an neurologist Tuesday. I skipped the PCP.

Should note my normal talking can sometimes be rambling. I do talk fast and RAMBLE. If you can’t tell from my replies.

Please visit with a doctor. This is the person to start with if you have health concerns that prevent you from carrying about your day in a normal manner.

Yes, as I said I plan to. I was hoping for some type of peace of mind but I can see now i was looking for it in the wrong place. And the last couple responses have actually made my anxiety worse. I’d like to delete my thread but can’t figure out how. If someone could tell me how I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

Boston-

Yes. You were seeking answers in the wrong place. It is good you realized that. Your anxiety, regardless of your accompanying physical symptoms, needs to be addressed too. My hope is that when you visit with your doctor to discuss your physical symptoms, you will also seek to get help with your anxiety. Anxiety can increase the signals of underlying physical issues and cause additional symptoms that can obscure causes for disease. You must address this along with your breathing and twitching symptoms in order to get to the root of your concerns.

Best of luck.

Yes, I’m sorry to waste anyone’s time. Would you be able to help me delete my post?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back