Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
TN
City
Kingsport
I am a 34 year old female. In September (7 months ago) I began to have a strange sensation in my right hand, not weak but weird. In November I got some weird numbness in my right hand and right ankle. I went to ER and had a CT of brain to rule out stroke. They gave me a shot of corticosteroid and soon after began to have twitching. The twitches are random and mild and happen in feet and legs mainly, but have spread around. Some days they are more active than others. My doctor ordered an MRI of my spine and discovered herniations at c5 c6 as well as a very mild spinal cord flattening. My lower back has an annular tear at L5 S1 which has caused sciatica. He reffered me on to a neuro who I ended up seeing his nurse practicioner. She said my spine wasn't "that" bad and my desk at work was probably too high! Now I have soreness in the palms of my hands and in the arch of my foot. No weakness or loss of dexterity. My family doc assures me that my symptoms are coming from my back, but now the orthopeadists I am seeing mentioned ALS when listing possible diagnosis. I am so confused. Can anyone help?

mom,

this is more than likely, not ALS. it typically has no numbness.

Have you had an MRI? Also, you should find a new neuro and request an MRI of the head, spine and an EMG to put your worries to rest. I think it will be ok.

ALS generally presents with weakness.

best of luck to you

jamie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back