Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
Hello I am an 18 year old male with no familial history of ALS. I have a normal medical history. No health problems ever. These past three weeks have been so bad for me health wise. I’ve visited the ER 6 times and neurologist once. I’ve had an MRI and CT of the brain that were fine. I got a cervical spine MRI that was normal.

So three weeks ago I started getting chest pain, parasthesia, fasciculations, and numbness everywhere. I know some of these aren’t symptoms of ALS since it’s focused on motor neurons but there’s more. I started having weakness in my limbs. Did an EMG of the legs and arms(LMN) that came back completely perfect.

However this week has been so bad. I’ve been having nonpainful twitches mostly on the left side of my body and mostly in the left leg and left cheek/eyes. I also have had perceived slurred speech. It’s sucks also because I’ve had a slight lisp my whole life so I can’t tell if or when slurring started. I’ve started having swallowing issues and it always feels like that there’s something in the back of my throat. My whole mouth is numb as well.

Also I had an argument a few days ago where I was yelling a lot and I’m not sure if that is the cause. But now my voice is raspy and I talk in a way more low pitch voice. It’s harder for me to talk and my voice is weaker than usual. It’s hard to sing in a high pitched voice. I also look down a lot. So the issues that I am still having are twitches, slurred speech, weak voice, swallowing issues, something stuck in my throat, and nausea.

I am so anxious this is Bulbar Onset relating to UMN. I’ve been looking at old pictures and my smile looks lengthier than it is now. However I can still move my tongue quickly in each direction. I can still smile well but it doesn’t look as long. The only thing I can pinpoint to all these bulbar problems is GERD because I’ve mostly been having just 1 to 2 meals a day, lost 10 pounds in 10 days, and sleep immediately after eating.

However I’m not officially diagnosed with GERD. But I’m sure I have it now due to all these bad habits. I’m nauseous a lot. I vomit a few times each week. I’m not sure if GERD affects voice. But I’m not sure. I’m not sure why I’m twitching. I’m not sure why my smile looks different. I’m so anxious please help. These past three weeks I’ve just been laying in bed all day and not exercising at all.

I google symptoms constantly and keep looking at forums with similar symptoms. I never used to have health anxiety until this all happened. I’m getting an EMG of my UMN next week.Going to ENT next week. So many people and doctors tell me this is health anxiety but it’s just so hard for me to believe. I just want a normal life.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you have been to the ER six times, and they didn't find anything wrong, I think we can be pretty confident even before the EMG, that there is no reason to think about ALS. Nor does your story fit what we know of it.

Have you seen a primary care doctor apart from the ER? They are the best ones to talk to about nausea/eating/sleeping problems. You might have GERD, but you might also have something like a nutritional deficiency, thyroid issues, or diabetes, which can cause the kinds of issues you talk about, and be serious without treatment. Some tweaks to your diet or medication might work wonders, but continuing to vomit, for example, will make any deficiencies worse.

So if you don't have a PCP that you trust, it's time to find one. Besides appropriate exams and lab work, they can also refer you for counseling -- whether we call it "health anxiety" or not, you're upset, and that's not when we make the best decisions about our health, or anything else. A good counselor can help you put your own best thinking to this, for your own best answers. As adults, we all have to get help to do this at times.

The good news -- there is no reason to be worried about ALS or anything like it. But you need some help to be less scared and safeguard your health, that only you can make sure you get. Please do, so you can feel better and get on with your life. And if your parents aren't in the loop on all this, well, if you were a parent, wouldn't you want to know what was going on? If they are not aware, at least consider letting them know that you are having a hard time and working on things.

Best,
Laurie

Yes I’ve been to the PCP multiple times and they just say to wait it out. They think it’s anxiety. I’ve also had bloodwork so many times and it’s all normal no deficiencies. The only thing that sucks is all these seemingly bulbar issues came up just week so I’m still going to make follow ups. The reasons I went for the ER were not pertained to ALS rather MS. But with MRIs fine I can rule that out . It just sucks that all these swallowing, raspy voice and some other new symptoms started a few days ago. But I just want to say thank you so much for your response! It was very helpful! It gave me confidence!

Federer, from your post.

“Hello I am an 18 year old male.”

“I’ve visited the ER 6 times and neurologist once.”

*ER 6 times,,, was the diagnosis Panic Attack related?
What did the release forms say?

“Did an EMG of the legs and arms (LMN) that came back completely
perfect.”

I hope you or your parents have good insurance.

“I google symptoms constantly and keep looking at forums with similar
symptoms. I never used to have health anxiety until this all happened.”
*…constantly*

Have you done any research (Google) concerning Health Anxiety?

(“I never used to have health anxiety until this all happened.”) Bingo !

I’d put the above sentence right after…”“Hello I am an 18 year old male.”

I think you can put Health Anxiety in reverse and back up over most of
your post.

“So many people and doctors tell me this is health anxiety but it’s just so
hard for me to believe. I just want a normal life.”
Listen and believe… that will happen,

If you don't believe them... will you believe anyone here that tells you,
"It's not ALS."

You’re way too young to be so burdened with this. I hope your doctors
help you get back to the wonderful times of being 18 and on.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back