Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
TX
Please, please help. Serious ALS symptoms.

M23, generally healthy.

In the last two weeks, I’ve noticed my right leg specifically become weaker, starting with barely noticeable muscle fatigue above the knee, and it has radiated out down to my calf and upper thigh. I feel like foot drop is currently developing, but I can still move it up and down. Twitches and tingling are becoming more and more common. Also having difficulty swallowing, and slight difficulty gripping with right hand (might be anxiety symptoms though).

Does this sound like the normal course for ALS onset? Please help me, I can’t think about anything else, and I cannot get into a neurologist for a few months.

I’ve heard that ALS almost always sneaks up on you, or that it’s a muscular ONLY disease, so I wouldn’t be able to feel tingling. However, it truly feels like my leg is beginning to lose function, and it’s scaring the absolute hell out of me.

If not ALS, what else could this be?

Thanks so much in advance.

No, it doesn't. If anything, it sounds like an overuse injury, presuming you have no history of trauma to that leg, or product of undue pressure, like crossing your legs a lot or a bad sleep/couch/work position.

Why not see a primary care doc, who can baseline/monitor your strength, and hopefully reassure you? Sight unseen, no one here can possibly run through all the thousands of other possibilities, most amounting to nothing at all, but that's your doc's job -- to rule out anything serious or steer you to a neuro if it seems warranted.

Best,
Laurie

Thanks for your reply!

I am going to see a primary care doctor on the 9th of June.

Can these symptoms really be caused by posture? It’s all occurring in just one leg, and the swallowing problem is really scaring me too, but again, that may be anxiety.

Is it common to mistake ALS symptoms for postural problems?

And, one more question; can ALS patients usually “feel” it in their leg? Or does it present simply as the inability to do an action? I can still lift my foot, drive my car, but I feel like it’s getting worse by the day. Is that how it works?

Thank you so much for, it means so much to me. I’m absolutely terrified.

Yes, it is possible. And then when you are anxious, things stiffen up, discomfort radiates...

The latter. Loss of ability may be ALS, but not simply strange feelings. As for the swallowing, in ALS, bulbar and limb onset don't occur in the same timeframe. It's not all at once, and not how you have described. Again, anxiety can lead to dry mouth, overthinking swallowing, etc. And there can be multiple things going on, like allergies, GERD, poor air quality, etc.

Whatever is getting worse, twitching and/or tingling, I would certainly mention that to the PCP, but it's not a sign of ALS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back