Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
:?:

Ok so my hubby to be says that dad is not slurring he is speaking slower then usual. So all this time I thought that he was slurring certain words but the fact of the matter is he is speaking slower then he normally does. This comes and goes... Some days he is normal and others slower....

This is my question I have been researching on this and I see things in reference to the slow speech may mean that breathing is more difficult, some say that his throat may be having issues, and others his tounge... I am so confused is this always associated with something or could it just be that the spasticity and muscle weekness is effecting his speech and that is that?

I think it is strange how dad is being effected and I wish I could fine someone that the same sort of things have happened.

He started with the foot and then within 3 years he must walk with the cane for balence and support. No other progression during this time...

Now the last month or so it has been this speech thing.... From the foot to the speech I don't get it....

Also does this mean that if you are in this stage you are in a bad stage?

Please help my mind is raceing... At the same time I know that my nerves are making dad anxious.

Jen

Hi Jen:

Slow speech is just a way of making his mouth form the words. I think its a frustrating time but as long as you are patient with him and let him talk it shouldn't be a problem. A speech therapist can do a barium swallow test and give you a good indication of how things are progressing. There is no way of telling that there is iminent failure but, if he is still vibrant and maintaining his weight.... so much the better.
Good Luck
CHeers

T.

T Bear,

Thanks for the fast response. I am just in one of those moods today that I can't stop thinking about it....

Eating is not a problem for dad he still eats a great deal, maintains his weight, and gets it all down....

Really it is just his walk and now the slow speech... It worried me cause what I read says that if it is his speech then this would mean he is having other diff. and now that you cleared that up for me I feel better.... Thank God this is slow prgressing I just wish that we would find a way to stop this disease for once and for all for everyone involved.....

Jen

Hi Jen. As far as I know the ups and downs with his speech and legs are normal. Or as normal as you can get with ALS. I find that I have what I call good hand days and bad hand days. Sometimes I can do certain tasks and other days I can't do much of anything. From what I have read and learned from talking to others this is kind of "normal" Not much fun but normal. Try not to worry so much. There's not much you can do except get him some tests. If he was having breathing difficulty he would be showing some symptoms other than talking slower. Take care.
Al.

When my dad started noticing a difference in his speech, he described it as slurring his words like he was drunk. We did not notice the slurring of words as much as him talking more slowly. As it progressed more, it was very obviouse that he was talking slower. He said it felt as if his tongue was not cooperating as fast as he was used to. Looking back, his speech got worse as chunks of time went on. For example, his speech is worse now than it was at the end of summer/beginning of fall. The change in his speech happens slowly, so it is not like he wakes up one morning not able to talk. But as time goes on, you can see how it has gotten worse. I guess all we can say is that everyone is going to be different. It would be nice if we could know exactly what was to come next. Be thankful that your dad is not choking on food and/or water. That brings a whole different level of worry and fear. I hope your dad continues to SLOWLY progress.
Dana

Hi Jen. I agree with what Dana said, the speech goes slowly, kind of in spurts, not all at once.
The other thing I could add is that I have not had understandable speech for months, but my breathing is ok, so they do not necessarily go together.
Like Al said, try not to worry too much, I know some days that is hard.
Love and prayers,

I forgot to mention that my dad's breathing is not so good. He has been gone all this week seeing his Lyme doctor, and they noticed that his oxygen levels were dangerously low. His doctor is in Colorado where the elevation is high, so this could be part of it, but we have noticed that his breathing has become shallow over the past month. His docs have him on an oxygen tank while he is in Colorado, but this is something we are going to have checked when he flies back home. Since he has been using the oxygen tank, he has started feeling better and not so strained for air. I sure hate this disease and its' process.
Dana

Thank you all so much for your response...

Al, your words always seem to send me off worry free... Your the best....

Dana, your so correct this diesase and the process is so hard and so confusing. I was trying to find your inro post. When was your dad diag, and does he have any other side effects besides the speech? Can he speak at all and be understood? You said he is in Colorado I do believe this could be an issue. I went once and could not breath at all. In fact I was able to do the treadmill for 2min before turning blue.... So I agree that once he gets back get that checked and he will be much better I am sure. It would be nice to be able to talk through e-mail being that we both have our dads going through such a hard time.... [email protected] is my e-mail... However if you want to chat on this so others can benifit that is fine as well...

Granny.... Thank you as well for your comments. You indicated that you have had this problem for months and breath and eat fine? I am sorry that you are going through all of this...

I pray each and every day for each and everyone of you and my dad that one day a cure will be found. However, baby steps for now I just ask for a way to stop progression...

Love Jen

Jen,
Let me know if you got my quick email before I send you any more info. For some reason, it was not going through.
Dana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back