Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
fl
City
miami
I am at my wits end. My mom and I, due to inability to care for him and lack of financial support or family to help us help my father have had to let my dad go to a nursing home. My strong, vibrant, hilarious bear of a man father is now relegated to being manhandled by nurses that can't wait to leave his room because they don't care about doing their job.

It breaks my heart and I see his spirit deteriorating, which is almost worse than his body. He can speak with difficulty, but I want to be able to have him live at home.

The problem is we cannot afford it. I just graduated college and got a job which is barely enough to support me and my mother in living expenses, and my mother has absolutely lost her mind in disbelief that this is happening to my father and our family so she does not even know how to help me take care of our family (bills, errands, so on).

I do everything, which means I dont have enough time to visit my dad. I am exhausted, credit cards are maxed out, and I have to keep it together emotionally for everyone which makes me appear cold to other people around me.

We need help. If you could understand how happy and loving we are but do not have the time to have with each other while scrambling to do everything necessary, it would break your heart too. I am an only child, young, tired, hopeful and proud.

I would never ask for money but my daddy needs it.

Please, please please please if you have 1 dollar, 3 dollars, 5, 10, 20, 100, more (God Bless YOU), please send a check or money order to the address below. It will be your good deed for 2013, because you have no idea how it would help. NOT just financially, but spiritually - my father is alone in the nursing home all day, and my mom is shocked and scared that she is losing her home and has to move in with me instead of enjoying her DISABILITY retirement small check with my dad, poor but peaceful.

If my dad saw that there are people that help, that miracles exist, that I'm not alone in this world, that my small salary is not the only thing keeping us from being homeless because Im spending everything left over on things he needs that insurance wont cover....

He wouldnt look so lost and sad, like a baby in a hospital bed. It breaks my heart, and I will even put this prayer and beg the world on this forum for help because of it. I dont want every visit we have together to be stress and sadness. I want to at least be able to make some memories with my beautiful family before he goes. PLEASE HELP.

I beg you all. Any little bit may add up. And if anyone out there has more and wants to help a daughter bring her dad home with home health care, I wish you every happiness in the world and thank you so much for the generosity in your heart.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure FL has a program like we got on in KS. It is a home and community based services waiver thru medicaid. It will pay a caregiver to care for your dad in your home. Please check this out. I utilized this with my husband before he passed away. We all know what a strain ALS is on a family, both emotionally and financially. My husband left behind a 32 year old wife, a 12 year old son and twin 7 year old daughters. You are in my prayers!

how is the nursing home being paid for, does he have medicaid, if not and you are really as as broke as you say you are, you need to apply. Also you might want to consider hospice as they will come to your home to help out, my dad had them when he was dying of colon cancer, they supplied the hospital bed, came by and gave him baths and cared for him and were readily available whenever we called. you did not state if he had medicare or not, they will pay for most durable equipment including a motorized wheelchair but get everythng you need before you get on hospice, after you are on hospice medicare will no longer pay, not sure about medicaid. I would also try contacting your local als chapter for assistance. I too was an only child,and from experience, i can tell you let some of those errands slide, trying to do everything will just burn you out. By the way my dad died peacefully at home where he wanted to be with me and my mom holding his hands, good luck, margaret

sorry for everything u r going through but we r all in the same situation. i too my loose my house cus my taxes r so high n also have to pay irs. cant report caretaker salary cus shes not legal but cannt afford legal one. my son is my caretaker 12-7am n weekends so cant work . i dont qualify for medicare, ss or medicaid. i dont want to go to a home . so ur not alone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back