Reason
Learn about ALS
Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AR
Hi everyone, I apologize for opening a new thread. My old one was closed.

My old thread

I had an appointment with a neurologist last week. I explained him all the symptoms I was experiencing. He performed an elaborate reflex exam.

Following is the summary:

Left Biceps - Absent(0/4)
Right Biceps - Decreased(1/4)
Left Ankle - Normal(2/4)
Right Ankle - Decreased(1/4)
Left knee - Normal(2/4)
Right knee - Increased(3/4)

After he did the reflex test, he told me that young people usually have brisk reflexes and that he wasn't getting enough from me. This really worried me. He repeated the reflex test though, I'm not sure why.

Is this how abnormal reflex presents in the early stages?

He inspected my tongue and arms but never checked my strength which was puzzling to me. I can still do calf raises, tip toes and my grip strength are all normal.

But I am still getting the twitches, neck stiffness, popping and cracking my joints very often. I also mentioned about my thighs shaking(especially my left) when I am in a half squat position. He explained that a neck problem could be causing all these issues on the rest of my body. He has ordered a bunch of blood tests, a cervical spine and head MRI, and an EMG.

I am so sorry to trouble you guys, but the abnormal clinical has piqued my worries.

How did you have an abnormal clinical? You can stand on your toes, go back on your heels and have a grip grasp-not things that that someone with onset of ALS has. Again, because you do not evidence this disease, it's a wonderful thing that you do not need to be here.

Take good care.

Hyporeflexia points away from ALS. Reflexes in ALS are usually hyper ( though there are many other reasons for hyperreflexia). When hyporeflexia is found in ALS it is because the person is lower motor dominant AND they have significant weakness. If you can do calf raises etc as you say you do not have that kind of weakness

It may really help to go back and ask the doctor who examined you what you want to know.

Skyblue, I think it's pretty clear your questions about specifics are no longer appropriate for this forum- your doctors have your medical history and clinical findings and can discuss their conclusions and further search direction with you. It's really important you start asking your doctor what their findings may mean. Also be honest with your doctor(s) about the anxiety you are feeling around your symptoms. This forum is really not equipped for any sort of advanced diagnostic questions or health anxiety support arising from the unknown- its purpose is to support those with ALS and their caregivers.

Your last thread was closed because you were struggling with tearing yourself away and could not accept the reassurances provided you. Please ask your doctors what your results mean.

Please take a look at my EMG results. The test was not conducted by my neurologist. So, I have not yet received his opinion. Could you please state your opinion?

Attachments

• IMG_1740.jpg
    IMG_1740.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 235
  • IMG_1736.jpg
    IMG_1736.jpg
    3.7 MB · Views: 260
  • IMG_1737.jpg
    IMG_1737.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 261
  • IMG_1738.jpg
    IMG_1738.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 243
  • IMG_1739.jpg
    IMG_1739.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 267
As stated by the examiner in the summary, it is a normal study.

This thread is closed as this forum is clearly not for you. Do not open another.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back