Loved one DX
Country
AU
State
nsw
City
sydney
HI Everyone,
I am 26 years old with 2 young children and am scared out of my mind that i have early signs of als.
My grandfather had this horrible disease and i am affraid i am following his fate.

My first symptoms which took me to see my doctor was pins and needle tingling like feelings in my hands, feet, legs and head and some muscle weakness in my leg.
2 days later i started having muscle tightness and spasms in my legs arms and back which took me back to the dr.
I was then referred to a neuroligist who after doing a physical said i was showing signs of ms.
I did express my concern about als as my grandfather had it but he just said als dosnt start with tingling.
I was sent for a mri which was clear and he is happy to say i dont have ms.
I go back to see him in 2 weeks for blood results which my gp has already told me are all clear and to see what the next step is.
My symptoms at present are
Twitching in my legs, feet and arms
Fatigue
Muscle spasms (sometimes waking me from a sleep they are so bad)
A general feeling of body weakness, mostly in my legs and arms.
Difficulty in writing even a sentence without my hand getting tired.

I am just wondering if anyone could offer me and advice
Thankyou

I also forgot to add I have brisk reflexes too

This does not sound like Als, let the Dr do his job before you worry too much..

Mummy2,

Joni is right...let the docs run their test first. I know it is hard to deal with these symptoms but try not to worry. (I know...hard to do)

Ask the neuro if he thinks an EMG is warranted.

Unfortunately, MS can't be completely ruled out based on an MRI. There are other tests that will need to be done. See someone that specializes in it would be my suggestion. Spinal tap and evoked potentials can be done as well. It can take years for an MS official ruling.

As said by your doctor, tingling and numbness are sensory--and not the same nerves that ALS affects. Only 10% have the genetic form of ALS. If it was only your grandfather, sad as that is, you're likely clear of that concern.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back