Status
Not open for further replies.

wewillbeatthis

Distinguished member
Hello,

Well the things you see when you watch someone like a hawk... I notice that in the evening when dad is relaxing and sitting on the sofa his righ leg will twich big time. Durning this time he is doing his usual nodding off to sleep. Once he falls asleep it will stop. It does not do this every night though. Can someone please advise what this means and what can be done for it.

Also, what can be done for the extra flem or whatever it is that causes dad to sound like he is gargiling after eating or drinking. He will sound like this for like 10 seconds after he drinks or eats something. Is this part of ALS or can it just be allergies?

From what my husband and I have been told the twitching is caused by irritations of the nerves. The twitching can be part of the als. My husband has alot of twitching, it is upsetting to him but he tries to cope the best he can. My husband also has the phlem in his throat, this can be caused by dryness but you should have the doctor check this out. I find that my husband's voice will be very hoarse near the end of the day and when he is tired.

Sandy.

Twitching & Meds

Hi Y'all,

You didn't mention if your PALS were on ALS meds...since my husband started taking Rilutec and Baclofen, his twitching has stopped. I'm not sure which drug controls the twitching, but something is working!

Pollyanna

Here is my understanding of the process - in very simple terms...

Your motor neurons tell your muscles when to move and when not to much.

When the motor neurons degenerate and no longer communicate with the muscle - the muscle is no longer being directed when to move and when not to move - so it starts twitching "Hey - Hello out there - is there anybody home". After a while - when it still receives no response from the brain via the degenerated motor neurons - the muscle begins to atrophy and the twitching will stop in the affected muscles.

Rilutek is a glutamate inhibitor - it won't have any affect on twitching.

Baclophen is to help control spasticity - so I suppose it might reduce twitching.

High saliva production is a symptom of ALS - there are drugs that can be prescribed to reduce saliva.

Does anyone know when you have als why you produce more saliva? Barry

As for saliva - I think the reason is that your normal clearing processing for saliva (swallowing) is impaired by bulbar ALS symptoms. As a result, Saliva builds up in your mouth.

Before I was diagnosed I noticed that I started drooling a lot at night - which was very odd - along with the choking when gulping liquids - together with the weakness in my hands - ALS explains all of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back