Pity Party coming on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
My automatic wash machine automatically broke down automatically!

Oh Linda, I hope it gives you some release to do that.

I know what you mean about being picked up and dropped on some alien planet.

I had a weird experience today. I am able to go out one day a week, just for a few hours. I've been meeting a different girlfriend each week for lunch, and every second week see my counsellor. Well today i decided I was taking my ear phones and audio book and going to a nice cafe by myself and ordering something really great to eat and taking it slow then off to the counsellor.

I pick an upmarket cafe not near the centre of town, get in and sit down to see 2 ladies waving at me from another table. We mouth a few things silently like hi, yes I'm good, happy new year and they turn back to each other and I feel like - f _ ck I just want to be invisible and have a bit of 'time out'. So I make sure I don't look at them again, and listen to my book and eat this steak, mushrooms, eggs and stuff that is like amazing, and then a good coffee. But I felt like even though I was there in a real cafe in the real world with people I know in the room, really the aliens had a clear container around me and I wasn't really there like everyone else. Still the meal was great, the book is great and I was fine.

Nearly finished and they got up and came over to me. Oh they said, you should have joined us we didn't realise you were here alone (fair, I could have arrived to meet someone), how are you?

Don't you hate it? The tears just welled up in my eyes, without my permission I might add, and I kind of nodded. They were kind enough not to ask details, but make a little more small talk, but kindly, then left. I was SO relieved when they did leave as I felt like now I was just another person sitting at a table in a cafe...

I needed a party too!

My washing machine had better not dare even thinking of automatically anything!

Yes Tillie I get the same thing when I go out. I think I am going to start disguising myself. Maybe I will just be one of the boys? I know if I do not do something with my mustache I will make a great older man!
I am sorry your outing left you sad, next time will be better!
Hugs
Linda

What a day. Hubby fell out of sling on hoyer lift. My sister and I have done this so many times and still don't know what happened. We called fire department to send strong firemen to help us. These men were awesome. All six of them helped him get from the floor back into the bed. He refused to go to the hospital after saying he was fine. He does have a goose egg on the back of his head so I called the doctor to ask about possible concussion . What a frightening experience. How many times do I ask "Lord give me strength". Today it's every other breath.

OMGoodness.. fell out of the sling? Been there.. almost like that...last year.. hubby got a new chair..we have a stand assist lift. His first chair let the lift get in farther so I didn't have to lift him back into the seat by myself. So.. we do the bathroom thing..I am putting him in his new chair (alone at home)...I unhook the sling, pull the lift away and he folds up into a fetal position and fell to the floor...head first..BAM! Hardwood floor! It happened in slow motion..I saw him falling and yelled.."NO NO NO!" he is on the floor.. saw blood come out his nose.. I grabbed the phone and ran out the door to the neighbors! I dial my son in law..his work is 45 minutes away...I am screaming into the phone...we lived in the country...running to the neighbors like 4 city blocks away. I get the neighbor...we run to the house... my son in law is there (just gonna stop by after work)...Dale has a little gash on his head by his eye. Took him to Ft. Bragg (Fayetteville NC) army base hospital...I feel horrible. Apologizing continually...we get back in the ER and this Army Major Dr. says.."how did this happen?".. (he cannot talk.). HE POINTS AT ME! The Dr. shifts his gaze to me...(OMG! I AM GONNA BE ARRESTED.. ON AN ARMY BASE!) I told the Dr. how it happened... they are looking at him like I did it on purpose. I was so scared.. and I blurted out.."yea and if he keeps it up, the other side is gonna need stitches!" needless to say.. the Dr was not amused.. but Dale and I were laughing...5 stitches and a bandaide...and a big glass of wine for me when we got home!

Rhonda thanks for the post. If I didn't think I would pass out after a glass of wine, that's what I would have done. He is on a ventilator so my main concern was his tubing and trach not coming out. My poor sister is still crying about today. We both remained calm during the whole thing, then she breaks down. I'm ok. Learned along time ago if I am calm - he is calm. Even though I felt like throwing up afterwards. I know he is sore but no sign of concussion. He is soooooo hardheaded.

Last edited:
Scary stuff!

I use the hoist and sling on my own, but not for the loo, and at least we are on carpet where I use it. I'm going to be paranoid now thanks ladies! :shock:

You know though, this pity part thread has done me the world of good.

I'm making myself just a tiny bit more organised and ensuring that I do just a tiny bit more personal care for myself of an evening. It's like a luxury to rub a bit of oil on a sore neck, a bit of cream around the eyes and on the scaly old hands. Little things can be great can't they?

I realised that we are spending like 4 - 5 hours a day just on personal care for my PALS - teeth, face, up the nose, peg, hands, showers etc, and I run in and out of rooms including I must just run through the shower and out. Hang on, something is seriously wrong if we let this happen! I have had to put a determined demand on myself that I will do just a bit more for myself.

I've always said, you will never find time to do anything, you have to MAKE the time.

Now one of you may ask me next week if I'm still doing it and I may have to say it was a fun couple of days whim, but more fool me if that happens!

I love a glass of wine, actually I prefer 2 ;)

I don't drink it every night though, I enjoy it more then on the evenings I do.

You know one thing that bothers me with drinking is that if he does fall and I have to call the ambulance, then I would also have to drive to the hospital, so I need to be careful about that.

I've just had a delicious hot chocolate in bed instead :)

Poor poor me, nah just kidding

You're right Tillie. No time for me. I spend all my time and energy on my Pals but no time for me. Brush my teeth and comb my hair everyday - that's about it. You have inspired me to get out of my nightgown and robe today. I've been like this for a week. Different gowns same robe. It's a start. Maybe a little makeup tomorrow. Thanks for lighting a fire under my butt. Love this party!

My mustache is all but gone. Hair washed and dried ready for some curls...hopefully.
Hugs
Linda

There you go ladies, that's something you each did for yourself!

That's now fired me on to be determined to get some 'me' time in today properly, and I'll be thinking of ya'll while I do.

Here's a tip - if you have some good quality body oil, rub it all over your body then get in a hot shower. Don't use soap (you can use a little under the arms and under the feet if needed), just let the hot water run over you. Doesn't take any longer than having a shower and washing yourself if you think about it. But it has some kind of 'grounding' effect, and you will feel great.

I use nut oils, either macadamia or almond as they are usually really fine oils and don't leave you feeling 'oily'

My son bought me a gift certificate for a spa, and I hadn't called to make an appointment although I have had it for 2 months. I have an appointment for next thursday, and told my step-daughter not to make any plans that day because she would be staying with her dad. I will be getting a manicure pedicure and a facial, yahoo!

OK, so I thought I would jump into my clothes really quickly while hubby on toilet, but when I tried to pull up my underpants I came up against some resistance. Well, I thought, I guess those secret snack times are catching up with me darn it, but then I noticed I was trying to pull the leg hole up around my waist.

That reminds me once when I was putting a shirt on my Love, and as I was pushing his head through the hole it dawned on me that I didn't remember it being a turtle neck. It wasn't, it was the sleeve of the shirt, and I had lots of fun getting it off again. The look on my husband's ruffled face was priceless. I am glad he had such a good sense of humour.

When my husband first got sick I had to take over our family business and I was not really equipped or experienced to make the decisions necessary. I would get so stressed out, I would close my office door and curl up on the floor under the desk and cry my eyes out. I am sure the employees thought aliens were involved! (I don't do that anymore--promise)

Paulette--I am so excited for you to get your spa day! I LOVE pedicures!

I went to my yoga class last night and then stopped at a girlfriend's house for a glass of wine! I felt very ZEN when I got home :)

Just need to say, "I am so grateful for everyone here!"
You all know how important this is to us all.
Hugs
Linda

Barbie I am IMPRESSED that you stopped at a girlfriends on the way home. Get your family used to that being part of your yoga night out :)

Paulette loved the getting dressed story, I so do the same kind of thing, have 30 seconds to race to another room to do something, only to mess it up and be hopping back through the house undoing whatever I tried to do quickly lol Lucky my PALS is usually oblivious to it all, though sometimes I just have to tell him so we can both laugh at me :razz:

same Linda, this is my lifeline!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back