Reason
Learn about ALS
Country
Aus
State
NSW
City
Sydney
I don't really know how to describe it but the toes on one of my foot feel very different. When I walk it feels like my toes are curled up, however it does not look like they actually are curled. When I try to flex or move my toes on that foot I notice they don't move as smoothly or as well as my other foot.

I am unsure about weakness as I can still move my toes as high and as wide as my other okay foot, just not really as fast or well.
I can stand on my toes on both feet and even stand on my toes using only one leg, even my affected leg, which also makes me question if it is weakness or something else.

I've also noticed 2 fingers (pinky and ring) on my right hand are also not as smooth or precise in their movements when typing.

I am sorry I did not know what to make of this, I have just had very bad anxiety regarding ALS.
I've had bad pains in my arm and leg for a few months now however doctors do not think it is anything serious.
My right hand also feels stiff and painful at times.

Thanks for any input.

Re: Toes - weakness (maybe)

Nothing in your post suggests ALS. From what you describe, a joint or tendon problem sounds more likely.
Keep working with your doctor(s).

This isn't about me but my dad. He is 63 and a strong man, still working hard every day. I noticed he wasn't using his pinky on one of his hands to do anything when i was working with him, gripping stuff like his phone or his power tools. I was overly concerned as I have hypochondria, and asked to do a pinch test, and he didn't have great pinch strength on that finger.
He noticed I looked worried and told me that he felt fine, didn't feel weak at all and he could use his pinky with the rest of his hand.

I'm a very anxious person about this illness, hardcore hypochondria that's been getting better but still present. I've moved from worrying about me to worrying about my family members as well, which is pretty absurd.

Do you think if you had the symptom in your hand, you would notice a notable weakness? Am I just being overly paranoid?

Thanks.

Are you being overly paranoid? The obviousness of the answer is blatant.

What you're not being is helpful. Quit searching for terminal diseases, tell your father you're worried and ask him to see his doctor.

There are a zillion things that can be going on with your dad’s fingers with most of them being completely benign. The most common thing would be a tendinitis due to overuse. ALS would not even enter my radar in this situation.

I’m sorry you have anxiety and hypochondria. Be careful not to put that on your dad.

Mod note: Merging threads. I understand it's about both the op and his dad.

Long time to diagnose?

I think one of the reasons people get so scared about ALS is because of how long it takes to diagnose for some people. You're left worrying for a while about whats going on and all that fear just keeps building up till someone finally tells you something.

I read stories about people who can go for years with the symptoms and suspicions before a diagnosis, however I wonder if these are the rarer cases? Because I also get told people will notice something is up and it will start to get worse over a slow, but not a very long time.

Can anyone shed some light on this area?

Thank you all.

Mod note: John, I have merged your posts again. Please stay in this one existing thread so members here can see your entire posting history in one location. Please also read the three pinned posts at the top of the DIHALS subforum to familiarize yourself with the forum posting rules.

Re: Long time to diagnose?

John, you need to get help for your "very bad anxiety regarding ALS." As you have seen here, we don't think either you or your dad have it.

I'm sure you and your dad have better ways to spend your time, and I'm sure he's worried about you.

Whatever you think you've read, 99% of people here who know they had ALS knew something was very wrong, beyond a doubt, before they were diagnosed. They would not have written the post that you did (nor would have the other 1%).

Don't waste your life in worry. You can do things that many here would be very happy for.

Best,
Laurie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back