Diagnosis
00/0000
Country
US
State
AL
City
Enterprise
Hello, I am posting on behalf of my Dad. He was diagnosed in June, rapid progression, and he is already in a nursing home living out his last days.

As his muscles have weakened, he is unable to move his neck. Because of that, his head falls down and to the side (the side of his ventilator hose) and he sleeps like that, which causes him a lot of pain.

Is there a pillow or device we can use to steady his head?

Thank you.

Firefly, the do make neck braces that can help, my husband never liked that. However, you could try once of those curved pillows like people take on a plane to sleep, or you could use pillows or towels to help brace his head as well. It may take several tries to find something he is comfortable with. Hope that helps.

We used, at various times, a ROHO pillow that is no longer made, but latex would give a similar firmness level, and a shoulder pillow on Amazon -- anything that is marked "contour" in the Isotonic line might be helpful depending on his neck height.

Then to keep the head from moving laterally, we used the thin rectangular microwavable heating pads that are dense with fiber inside, one on each side, vertically on the pillow, from top of the head down through neck. Not right up against the head, but close at the edge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back