Diagnosis
12/2020
Country
US
State
NY
City
Long Island
My dad is currently still at the rehab facility but we want to get ahead and figure out how to crush his pills to be taken via PEG.

I spoke to his doctor there and his pills are good to be crushed. We tried crushing them here to practice but they don't get fine enough to go through the syringe. I will call the facility tomorrow to see what they are doing but do you guys have any tips or recommendations?

Use a "real" pill crusher, e.g. where you put the pills inside a container and then turn a metal blade through it, or the mortar/pestle kind works better for some people, but you have to be careful that the bits get used. Whatever is least effort for the necessary result.

You can then slurry with warm water as needed and then shoot the mixture through the syringe.

More meds than you think may be available as liquids, also, though you would still thin them with water.

Do you have one that you would recommend?

Don't see the one we had offhand, but take a look at Ezy Crush -- looks similar. It's nice to have a splitter built in or separately, too, because some meds are cheaper if you do your own splitting, or, like warfarin, may need titration by the week.

I bought one called the silent night, my caregivers love how easy it is.

I bought this one from Amazon and love it. I found that the pills weren't crushing as easily after about a month, and realized that the bottom wheel can be tightened to make pills like fine powder (or loosen for coarse powder). It uses a crank to crush tablets and works well on any size as well as the coated tablets. I wash it ever so often (have to take it completely apart), but it's never a problem. Comes with two pill containers and lids. <Amazon link to CoaGu pill crusher removed>

Also, time-release tablets cannot be and should not be crushed. If you need to administer time-release caplets, let me know and I'll send you a video mom's nurse sent me.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is usually an alternative to time-release meds. The OP said his dad's meds were good to crush, but for those who aren't sure, there is the Do Not Crush list.

Get a mortar And pestal. My wife crushes mine with that

I use a "Pill Crusher" that I got from the local pharmacy and then I let it soak in a small amount of water, this has worked well for me.
I do have problems with Pills that have a "Slow release" covering, they give me Reflux.
Good luck!

We use the Silent Knight pill crusher, it is a little on the expensive side but well worth it! Mix with a little water and never have a problem with then going they the feeding tube

Dall, you should not crush pills with a "slow release" shell. That can lead to absorption that is too fast. See the Do Not Crush list. There are usually alternatives, such as immediate release forms of the same medication, or a cousin in the same class.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back