Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OHIO
City
Wickliffe
Has anyone here ever been prescribed physical therapy for ALS?

I have PT for my neck. Stretching, and range of motion is supposed to be good.

What most PT think should be done for ALS patients is detremental. What Phil recommends above - range of motion - is beneficial. Be careful about exercising your muscles because if you overdue it and hurt a muscle it does not heal.

Again, range of motion helps keep your joints from getting stiff.

I'll just reiterate what has been said. Even the mild range of motion work I have on my neck
and shoulders leaves me recovering for a day or so. Find a PT who understands what you
are dealing with. Mine was recommended by my neurologist and over that past 18 months
has continually retailored his work as my symptoms have progressed.

But don't be scared off, the range of motion work is really important. Also have some gentle
stretches I do throughout the day just to get my arms out where they would never go otherwise.

Best of luck
Dan

I have no DX of anything yet, other than them saying I have atrophy, so the VA recommended strength training to see if I'm reconditioned? I personally think it may be making the atrophy worse, but I'm guessing this is the only way I'll see a neurologist there! Thanks for the responses so far.

Raul- You, my friend, are one individual who should try our great search feature. Each and every one of these last half-dozen questions have been answered in the archives. It saves you from waiting for people to see your thread and waiting still for folks to answer. Give it a try! :)

My husband has found pool therapy to be the most beneficial so far. It is a mix of stretching and relaxation. He has a therapist work one on one with him as he needs to be held in the pool the whole time. Check into this with your Doctor.

I also have been doing pool therapy and found it to be beneficial so far. It is much easier in the pool to do the stretching. I did need a script from my Doctor for this. Good Luck

Larry

4rhl1981, strengthening excercises helped my atrophy (and I am undiagnoseded, just like you). 1.5 ago I found an atrophy (?) in my left biceps - a visible groove going from shoulder to elbow on the upper side. Since then, I was doing push-ups, and now the groove is much smaller, and visible only by correct light/shadow arrangement.

is always good?

hi
in most cases of als they say it is not adsvisable to have pt because it causes fatigue to muscles. How much is this correct?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back