Diagnosis
06/2008
Country
US
State
any
City
any
Well, I finally have decided I probably need some help from physical therapy.

My index fingers, both, are curled 80% of the time now, so I don't think my oval 8's are enough support?

Also my toes on my left foot are beginning to curl, slightly, so I thought maybe I could "nip it" before it becomes a problem.

Other than getting eval for braces, is there anything else I should ask them for? I'm going on Monday, so I'll have plenty of time to prepare a list if needed.

For instance-can they find out if my van can be modified for a lift/wchair when needed, should I have a scooter for getting around when fatique hits the legs, and on and on

Man, I guess it's true- nurses probably make the worst patients!:)

Hey Brenda-

I do OT, but have worked side by side with PT
s for 10 years, and am recieving PT/OT services myself. They can help with a TON of stuff. Even helping train your family on how to passively stretch your muscles. One tip I have is tell them UP FRONT that you dont want a big exercise program...my first round of PT I was so sore for days after going = while I was doing the exercised I felt okay- then later that night and for the next couple of days was very sore. Light exercise and and stretches are okay for me now. And I am getting my custom AFO's Tuesday. ( can you blieve I am actually excited?LOL)

Be upfront and honest. Tell them about your current needs and ask lots of questions.

About your fingers- a resting hand splint to sleep in may be helpful, plus lots of passive stretches.

If they have someone trained in vehicle modification, it may be a good idea to look into that, but I'd first look into local places that FUND those sort of things. ASK them if there is anyone around who provides or helps with funding.

If you have any other questions, I'd be GLAD to help out.

Love and best wishes-

Cindy

I dont think there is much you can do for the curling of toes and finger.
pat

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back