01/2008
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
Hey,

I'm a photographer based in Philadelphia whose father was diagnosed with ALS in January 2008. He's in the later stages of ALS and is super depressed. What makes things difficult for me is that my job requires me to be away a lot of the time, and if I'd visit home, both he and my mother would get upset that I'm not doing more to further my career.

So, one way that I'm hoping to cope is by meeting other people who have ALS or have been affected by this horrible disease. What I'd like to do is do photographic portraits of these people, preferably people whose life choices have some sort of connection to how my father lived his life. I'm hoping we can share our experiences and become stronger through sharing. If you would be interested in taking part, feel free to pm me.

Hey,

I'm a photographer based in Philadelphia whose father was diagnosed with ALS in January 2008. He's in the later stages of ALS and is super depressed. What makes things difficult for me is that my job requires me to be away a lot of the time, and if I'd visit home, both he and my mother would get upset that I'm not doing more to further my career.

So, one way that I'm hoping to cope is by meeting other people who have ALS or have been affected by this horrible disease. What I'd like to do is do photographic portraits of these people, preferably people whose life choices have some sort of connection to how my father lived his life. I'm hoping we can share our experiences and become stronger through sharing. If you would be interested in taking part, feel free to pm me.

Hi,my husband and I live on the Jersey Shore,about an hour and 15 min from you.I am not sure how your Dad lived,but my husband worked hard and volunteered his whole life .Raised a family and played by the book.A mans man.He is only 53 and has a fast moving monster within him.We are trying hard to just get through each day.My son is devastated by the effects of this disease on his once strong father.Let me know if you need any more info.Tell your dad to hang in there!

Hi dustinf

Hi.
I'm sorry to hear about father. I live in the Philly area and would possibly be interested in your project. I was diagnosed with ALS in 4/04.

Thank you all for writing back and all of the kind words. And my apologies for not responding to this sooner. It's been a fairly rough few days.

Anyway, I'm pretty much willing to go anywhere to meet people and work on this project.

@shrimpbox73: My father is 58, so it sounds like I can really relate to your son. My father was an active man, spending his time volunteering as a baseball coach, overcame his body's limitations to become a black belt in karate at the age of 47, an avid outdoorsman, and all around model citizen. Thank you for writing. I'd be interested in meeting everybody and anybody.

Is there a way to private message on this board?

Unfortunately you need a few more posts before you can PM people. You should be able to PM me and I can forward them on for you until you have enough posts.

Ah, ok. I really appreciate your help!

Hey! If you want to come down south, my husband would be happy to oblige.

He recently was assistant basketball coach through a church organization for kid's. It was not easy, but he persevered.

His spirit is unbelievable! He has helped so many people in his life time and now it is rather a lonely road. But still, he seems undaunted.

I would really appreciate that. I'm having some things to take care of for work and with my family, but I should soon be able to start meeting with people. Thank you, everybody.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back