Diagnosis
10/2022
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Toronto
My dad was recently diagnosed with bulbar onset. We are still waiting to get a second diagnosis at an ALS clinic. In the meantime, he has been complaining of excessive phlegm that has made it difficult to sleep and breath. I was wondering if it is sensible for me to purchase a suction device now to help with that or if I should Wait until he’s able to get a cough assist machine through insurance coverage? Will the auction device be of any help without the cough assist pulling up the phlegm? Thanks in advance.

Jack

Very sorry about your dad, Jack. We'll support you however we can, and he's welcome to join as well.

Suction can be of use without the Cough Assist but not every PALS finds it helpful, because it can be irritating. I would start with thinning the mucus. Some of the methods people here use include warm liquids, soda, pineapple juice/papaya juice, Alka-Seltzer if it does not interact with his other meds. Some find that avoiding dairy helps (nut and oat milk products are available as substitutes).

To avoid buildup, it is helpful to "spit" the excess out periodically into a paper towel if he can still do that.

I would also check, clean, replace home furnace filters and consider a humidifier. I am presuming he's not on BiPAP yet? That may help.

Best,
Laurie

Thank you Laurie for the reply. We’ve tried just about all of those options listed. I scoured the forum before and he’s used pharma nac, mucinex, humidifier, etc. None of those have offered any real benefit. I also got him alka seltzer but he had kidney cancer a couple of years ago and he doesn’t want to impair his kidney function.

We have 3 more weeks before we can see our ALS clinic and I really wanted to try to give him some relief as I know it’s starting to disturb his sleep. As for a bipap, he may need one but again, we are waiting for the als clinic so that we can help with the cost.

Thanks again for getting back to me.

Hello Jack, so sorry to meet you under these circumstances. You may not be ready for this yet but I have found that a hospital bed in the almost upright position helps me. The bed is available from the ALS society free of charge.
Al

The bed is definitely the foundation in sleep. I hope you can get one soon. During the day, in advance of his needing a power chair, a lift recliner or chair allows for more positioning options.

I have a hospital bed, I'm speaking from 8 years of experience, also a wheelchair a a lift recliner all are available to Jacks dad free of charge from the ALS society. The hospital bed helps the phlegm the most during the day I'm sitting upright in my wheelchair and phlegm is not a problem, but at night it is and that is when the hospital bed is a help, The more severe the problem the more I tilt the bed.
Al

Jack are you going to the Toronto clinic or the Hamilton client either one is excellent, Hamilton is Dr. Turnbull. Check him out on the internet.

Last edited:
Thank you all for your comments and support.

We are going to sunnybrook in Toronto on Monday. My dad still walks with assistance. He is bulbar onset and he is really struggling with the amount of mucus. I will ask him to try sleeping in a more upright position. I think he’s hoping to get a cough assist machine soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back