Other
Country
US
State
NY
City
New York
Hi,

I am a 22 years old and for the last 4 months or so, I have had the feeling of phlegm stuff in my throat. I am usually able to swallow it but I have had to clear my throat fairly regularly.

Initially I was not concerned about this but after awhile I looked at my tongue and noticed that there is an indentation on the right side (left side of the picture), which will twitch/fasciculate every so often (flutters in and out).

The reason I am posting on this forum is because I googled prolonged post nasal drip and found a post on here which scared me where a gentleman's very early symptom was having to clear his throat all the time because he had phlegm.

I asked my PCP about the phlegm and he didn't seem to think it was anything but I was wondering if any of you see any beginning signs of tongue atrophy in the picture or if I should be concerned by the phlegm and if I should see a neurologist.

I hope that I am not wasting anyones time and that this is nothing and I can stop worrying. Thank you very much.

IMG_6234.jpg

IMG_6243.jpg

Atrophy is not obvious to me from the picture, but your tonsils are nice and plump, suggesting your phlegm is most like caused by a viral infection (or a succession of viral infections). Twitching is common and nonspecific. I would not be concerned about ALS.

Oh Jesus, help me.

Now we have people thinking that a hocker of snot is a sign they are dying.

The internet is a dangerous place for weak minds, indeed.

Thank you for your response Karen, I will have to have him look at my tonsil at the next appointment.

Mike- I apologize, I know google is the worst place to go, but the reason I was concerned was not because the phlegm was there but because its been there for so long. And the one post on the this forum where the gentleman experienced phlegm issues before anything else, along with the impression on the side of my tongue, I was worried that this was an early symptom of bulbar onset.

Thank you both.

I've noticed that I have been yawning more than usual as well. Does this change anyone's opinions or is it possible to yawn from worrying about it?

Again, thank you for your time

Yawning is no more an indicator of ALS than sneezing of coughing. Please visit with a doctor and ask them what your symptoms mean. We look forward to your report after you visit with a doctor. Two very experienced members have attempted to reassure you, but it sounds like you are unable to believe them. Hopefully a doctor will help.

As Mike has already pointed out, self directed online research on diseases is not good for anxiety. Please stop posting/searching here and go get in- person proper medical help for your symptoms. I am sure you will receive good news and reassurance from your doctor that everything is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back