03/2020
Country
US
State
TN
City
Memphis
Based on this study from last year:

My wife's doctor recommends Tudca and Sodium Butyrate which comes to a total of less than $100 a month. He said he's contacted the main researcher and that there is no effective difference between Phenylbutyrate and Butyrate. Does anyone have more knowledge on the difference the additional pheny chain may make? Can we draw the conclusion that Phenylbutyrate is only used in the study because it was sponsored by a pharmaceutical company looking to develop a more expensive drug?

There has been some discussion on this before. There is a difference between them and I do not believe there has been a human trial on butyrate / tudca so I wonder where the science comes from to support no difference. And I wonder who the doctor identified as the main researcher. Dr Paganoni led the trial. Was it her? I do not believe MGH ( her location) is recommending butyrate. I know people who got prescriptions for phenylbutyrate there

re your premise on motivation I don’t think so. This was the idea of two college men and originally they spoke to someone in the AD world ( a fraternity connection). This was Dr Tanzi at MGH who connected them with Dr Cudkowicz who had done previous work with phenylbutyrate that she wanted to continue but there was some block at the time she helped them get started. So it isn’t a big Pharma story

Thank you. The communication has been very opaque and I've not found anyone who can say the importance of the distinction between the two. We asked him about it and he wrote a prescription for the phenylbutyrate but we haven't talked to our pharmacy yet. He is still claiming that the non phenyl is all we should bother with. I only found one other mention in the forums so if there is more info or discussion to be found I'd love to see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back