Diagnosis
12/2018
Country
US
State
NC
City
Get Real
Peter Frampton has been diagnosed with Inclusion Body Myositis (IBM).

A possibility for those concerned they may have ALS from their symptoms
(DIHALS) which I wrote about a month ago.

(Inclusion Body Myositis. Inclusion body myositis (IBM) is an inflammatory muscle disease
characterized by progressive muscle weakness and wasting. Patients suffering from IBM
usually develop symptoms of IBM after age 50; however, many patients may present with
symptoms as early as their 30's.)

Again, early on another ALS mimic.

Just one of so many other possibilities other than ALS to consider.

Note. Mods, I really didn't know where to put this. Is it an MND?

Last edited:
IBM is a myopathy, not a MND, but I think this topic is important for readers to see, especially for those wondering if they could have ALS.

Myopathies are specifically muscle diseases. The innervation to the muscles is normal with myopathies. There is no spasticity or hyperreflexia. Typically there are no fasciculations (though fasciculations are common enough that people with myopathy may get them for other reasons), and the EMG with myopathy has its own appearance— different from ALS.

Myopathies are generally treatable. IBM tends to be more refractory to treatment.

The gold standard for confirming a diagnosis of myopathy is the muscle biopsy. Findings on muscle biopsy also help distinguish between the various types of myopathy. Inclusion Body Myositis is so named because of inclusions seen in the muscle tissue on biopsy.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back