Pesticides

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone,
this is all so interesting, my Dad newly diagnosed with MND works on vinyards and is regualry covered with chemicals (mostly glyphosphate, but others also even DDT) , you could say he was a bit slack with safety.
His neurologist has even suggested that ag. chemicals may be a cause/trigger for his MND, so there must be some thinking out there that these chemicals could play a part, in addition maybe to some other genetic predisposition or mutation.
I'm an industrial chemist, but not a neurologist, so I will have to gather up my info and do a bit of research.
Mel

Years ago I worked in a factory and often was exposed to chemicals. But that was back in the late '60's and it doesn't seem like it would take this long for something to show up. Who knows? Cindy

Hi Mel

It would be very interesting if you could do some research on this chemicals, what about what stays on produce after being sprayed, do we eliminate it when we wash fruits, vegetables?

As you may know if you read all the posts on this thread, my husband was a duster pilot for 23 yrs. applying organophosfates and herbicides, sometimes a hose would brake and he was showered with these, he started being more careful the last four yrs. he stopped applying around the yr. 2000 and started a Commercial Flying School.

He started showing weird things (weird for us) on April 2005, but in June although he took his annual check up to validate his commercial flying license, neither one of the doctors that made the tests noticed anything wrong, some symptoms were fasciculations on his back and shoulders, he remembers that when he was checked by a woman Cardiologist, she told him, you must be a very nervous person, he took his arm and straigthen it.

After June all went very fast, every week he showed something new, and by October he was Dx with A.L.S. he went for a second opinion and these last doctor's who did the tests never gave a Dx, every test done came out clean.

That meant that the first neuro who saw him and gave the DX was right, at this time his started as limb onset, right now he's lost almost all his speech, has problems to swallow but still eats by mouth, refuses the PEG, but can still breath if he sleeps on his side, he gets lots of phlegms.

Wish you can do some research and show us here the results.

I am sorry about your father, this is a terrible sickness.

Paty
Husband's Caregiver Dx 10/17/2005
Baja California, Mexico

If some people hadn't been so opposed to chemicals, the DDT ban (which was a hoax) would not have happened, millions of malaria victims would have survived, and organophosphate insecticides would never have been needed. Even now, when it is known that DDT is the safest insecticide ever known, and it has no role in thinning of eggshells, you can't buy it.

Pappy.

pesticides and organophosphate

Me and my ex used a lot of pesticides over years, even indoors. He is now 37 and got als 3 years ago. I have got fasciculations over my whole body, and this started 1 1/2 years ago shortly after spraying with pesticides. I am convinced that use of pesticides caused his and mine sympthomes.

Joop Luitwieler, Dutch ALS patient, was diagnosed in 2002. He died in 2006 at the age of 64.

Joop felt very confident that the cause of his ALS was caused by pesticides. For many years he worked on a ship transporting animals. To avoid insects, they used DDT, not only on the animals and ship, but also on themselves. The last 20 years of his working life he worked in the chemical industry.

When you look at the working of pesticides on an insect... paralysing the insect... it resembles so much the course of ALS.

From the Dutch and Belgian ALS patients we knew, many of them were sportsmen, jogging daily in free nature... but along fields with pesticides.

Does anyone know whether the connection between pesticides and ALS is examined?
And if so... if there is a counter-poison?

Thanks and regards,

Diana Roelands

We have a few PALS who worked with pesticides and believe this is the cause of their downfall. Trouble is, not much research has been done so it is mostly annecdotal at the moment. Interesting theory, though.

Pesticides: Completely sure that was what caused my husband's ALS

I AM POSITIVELY SURE MY HUSBAND GOT ALS BECAUSE OF HIM APPLYING PESTICIDES FOR 23 yrs. as A DUSTER PILOT, IN BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO, WHERE EVEN PESTICIDES NOT PERMITTED IN FIRST WORLD COUNTRIES, WERE PERMITTED IN MY COUNTRY.

HE'S RIGHT NOW AT THE HOSPITAL AND HAS BEEN THERE SINCE JUNE 30TH. WHEN A TRAQUEOSTOMY WAS PERFORMED, SINCE HERE IN MEXICO YOU CANNOT DECIDE TO HAVE THE VENTILATOR TAKEN OFF, THIS IS CONSIDERED EUTHANASIA (NOT PERMITTED IN MEXICO).

PATY (BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO)
HUSBAND'S CAREGIVER

P.D. THERE WAS ANOTHER MAN THAT DIED ABOUT TWO WEEKS AGO, WITH BULBAR ALS, HE ALSO APPLIED PESTICIDES IN HIS LAND, AND I ALSO KNOW OF A FAMILY FRIEND WHO USED TO WORK IN THE FIELDS AS AN AGRICULTURE ENGINEER, AND SO MANY OTHER'S WHO HAVE NOT BEEN DIAGNOSED WITH ALS, BECAUSE HERE THERE IS VERY LITTLE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS TERRIBLE SICKNESS IN MY COUNTRY.

Paty- how have you been? How is Jorge doing these days? Cindy

Hi Cindy

Hi Cindy:

So nice to hear from you, I practically live at the hospital, Jorge had a trach and PEG, done on the 1st. of July and was connected to a ventilator, about two weeks ago, his sugar level went to 450 (although he's was not diabetic). he went into a coma and was sedated for a week, after that he woke up).

He's very deteriotated so we cannot bring him home, because here in Mexico you don't get the help needed, to go through this, so we are living at the hospital, I only come two times a week.

This has been very hard on our family but we are holding together.

Hope you are doing okay, remember I always have you and our FORUM FRIENDS ON MY THOUGHTS.

Hugs Paty
Husband's Caregiver DX 10/17/07
Baja California, Mexico

well, Paty, when you next check the forum know that all of your friends here are with you and Jorge in spirit. Cindy

Paty,

Very sorry to hear Jorge is not doing well. Will be thinking of you as you go through such a stressful ordeal.

Please let us know how you all are doing when you get the chance.

Hi Cindy, Jimercat and everybody on the forums

HI:

THANK YOU FOR YOUR WORDS, JORGE WENT OUT AGAIN LAST TUESDAY AT 1:00 p.m. the thing was that he only got his pulmonary therapy in the morning, and in the afternoon I told him if he wanted me to suction his phlegms, he said he didn't need it, and I tried to stay awake to wait for the pulmonologist who nebulizes him and suctions him after, but he never got in, suddenly I woke up and found Jorge with his eyes open but did not respond to me, I ran for help a doctor came and said he was very sick, that he couldn't do anything but give him a sedative, before this I myself suctioned him, although his ventilator was working he was not ventilating well.

My son came and we stayed waiting for what was going to happen, my son told me to go to sleep since I am almost all the time very tired, (IS HARD TO BE LIVING IN THE HOSPITAL), after that he told me he was going home and would come back early in the morning, I woke up when I felt Jorge's eyes on me, he woke up and didn't know what had happenned.

He's been getting high blood pressure and sugar levels very high.

Well I have to go back, but remember all that I am in SPIRIT IN THE FORUMS.

GOD BLESS EVERYBODY

WITH LOVE

PATY
HUSBAND'S CAREGIVER DX 10/17/05
BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO

There is a reward waiting for you in the after life, Paty. You are a true angel to do all this for somebody who has made a few mistakes in how he treated you. You are my defination of one classy lady! Cindy

God bless you Patty for being there for your husband. Please know that you and Jorge are in our prayers. I pray especially for you to get the rest and peace that you so need. Here below is a hug for him and for you.

God Bless
Capt AL

Jesusgreeting.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back