Reason
Loved one DX
Country
US
State
OK
City
Tulsa
My mother has been almost completely bedridden the past few months, but last weekend she fell and injured both feet and is now completely immobile. We're waiting on a Hoyer lift so she can get from bed to her potty chair. However, while we are waiting things have become very difficult. We tried a bed pan, but she couldn't easily get to it because her bed is flat. So we've started putting her in Depends. Problem is, she has been going a lot. We want to change them as soon as she uses them, but we all work full time jobs and can't be there at all times. Has anyone experienced anything that might work besides diapers? I hate the idea of her sitting an hour or two until someone gets there to change them. Right now Medicare only pays for home health one hour per day, or else we would have someone with her more. I'd appreciate any thoughts if you've been through this?

So sorry about mom

I dont how if your mother is able to get onto a portable toilet you can sit her on it if its near her bed it stands alone has handles legs and a potty

Pat

Dear Awelsh

Hoping your Mom is on Hospice for her care issues. Medicare covers Hospice for ALS patients 100%! Her doctor makes one phone call.

It has been the very very best thing. They are wonderful and work as a team, from the nurse to the social worker, aide for personal needs. The social worker with hospice can be your best friend for your Mom. I too work 3 days a week and am blessed to have Hospice for his needs. They work as a team and get you as much help from organizations.

I had read about a patient on this forum that had a back up bipap, in case of breakage etc. I reached out to social worker and ALS loaner closet sending me out my back up.

Please reach out as much as you can for help. It is out there! Will pray tonight for Mom's needs and for you to get the help.

You are wonderful reaching out for your Mom. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back