Permobil F5 VS (14 mi), Handicare P440, Molift Smart 150, Invacare Reliant 450, and More...

Jguidry2530

Reason
Lost a loved one
Diagnosis
06/2020
Country
US
State
GA
City
Macon
With a heavy heart, my father passed recently from his battle with ALS. He was a 20 year military veteran, and husband to an amazing mother. I am selling his medical equipment in order to assist my mother with funeral expenses and would like to help another family.

I have a household full of products that will make anyone living with or caring for a loved one with ALS have ease of mobility. Below is a list all of the equipment I have available for sale, but will also sell as a lot for a discount. Delivery is available based on location, I am willing to personally transport all of it to you should the lot be purchased as a whole. I have pictures of everything but did not want to clutter the post here. Photos of all equipment are available on request. Please contact me with any questions you may have.

Permobil F5 VS : $50,000 (14 mi), 2 months old, looks new, w/ charger
Handicare P440 Ceiling lift : $3,000, brand new, installed but never used, w/ charger
Molift Smart 150 Lift : $4,000, like new, w/ charger
Invacare Reliant 450 : $2,000, brand new, w/ charger
RAZ-AT Mobile Shower Commode Chair : $2,000
iDrive Wheel Chair, Walker, IV Stand & Spokeman Voice Amplifier (MA-2200) : Included with Full Equipment Purchase.

Total : $61,000

Will take $50,000 for the lot and depending on your distance from our home in Georgia, I will personally deliver everything to you.

Thank you.

I am very sorry for your loss.

I know you would like to sell this equipment, and my response is intended to help you do that. I can't say much about your pricing for most of the equipment you list, but can comment on the price you are asking for the wheelchair.

I have experience buying used wheelchairs, having bought 4 over the last few years, including a non VS F5. The most I have paid for a used wheelchair is $4,000. I have bought wheelchairs with as little as 26 miles on them, so essentially new.

If you review the completed listings for Permobil F5 VS wheelchairs on ebay, you will see selling prices ranging from roughly $5,000 to $14,000. The higher priced one was from a dealer who offered free shipping. The lower priced one was from an individual with free local pickup.

Based on this, I think you will have a hard time selling the wheelchair at anything close to your current asking price. Even wheelchairs that are essentially new with very little use just don't sell for anything close to their new prices in the US.

Good luck as you try to sell this equipment.

Steve

I too am very sorry for the loss of your Dad! I also greatly appreciate that you want to sell this equipment at a fair price so you can help out your Mom and another family. But like Steve, I'd strongly encourage you to rethink your pricing. A quick google search of each of the items you listed will tell you that you are at retail (or even above retail) for each of the items. If I purchased a new car today for $30,000, I'd be lucky to get 3/4 of that about a year from now if I sold it used. Medical equipment actually offers an even worse return on investment, since insurance is involved (private, Medicare, Medicaid) which drives up the retail pricing on everything to an insane level. You'll be fortunate to get 10% of that $50,000 for the wheelchair and the other items will be similar... to varying degrees.

Unfortunately, if you continue to ask for those amounts, I'd be shocked if you get any bites at all... especially within a specific geography. I'd encourage you to lower all the prices, and perhaps do some kind of GoFundMe to help your Mom out, as well as the other family. Otherwise, I fear you won't sell a single one of the items you listed.

Again, so sorry you lost your father and that you even have to deal with this. All the best...Jon

Last edited:
Thank you both for your responses. I will take that information into account but I was using the internet to judge the prices and do you have any suggestions for me?? I have no experience in this matter and I was using this to help my mom out due to the hard and unexpected loss of my dad. It's been tough.

I am truly sorry for your loss. As Steve said the price for used pwc however lightly used is much much lower. aside from anything else the chair are very customized and another PALS will not be totally comfortable in a chair designed for someone else ( unless you are Steve who can modify a used chair amazingly).

for the things you listed PALS will generally have some insurance coverage. If they are vets like your dad they will pretty much get everything they need through the VA. The rest of us mostly have some combination of medicare medicaid or private insurance. The coverage isn’t as great and except for power wheelchairs the coverage won’t be for top of the line products mostly like you got from the VA but most people make do with what they get from insurance or can borrow from loan closets. PALS with lots of financial resources I guess could buy new and wouldn’t be looking in this subforum but most are dealing withe issues of income loss and caregiving costs. They might stretch to buy a heavily discounted power lift for example but not the price you listed when you can get a different brand new for less

Again I am very sorry for your loss. Make sure your mom is getting all the survivor benefits she is entitled to.

Since you are trying to cover funeral expenses, I want to remind you that the VA will compensate some of the funeral costs. Just search for VA Burial Benefits. Your mother should also be eligible for survivor benefits from the VA due to his service-connected death.

One way to get an idea for prices is to look at sold items on ebay. On the ebay web page, there will be a checkbox for sold items. That will let you see what things really sold for. Except, some of the "sales" fall through and you will see the item relisted. When evaluating pricing, I ignore those items that get relisted.

Be sure to factor in whether it is an individual or an established company selling the item, as well as the terms (shipping, returns, etc.).

For a wheelchair, you will likely be considering selling only to a local buyer. This reduces the potential pool of buyers greatly and could consequently reduce the price you can sell it for.

You can more easily find local buyers on a site like craigslist. Be sure to use appropriate caution when dealing with craigslist buyers, though.

When I buy a used wheelchair, I know that I will likely need to spend an additional $1,000 to $2,000 to make it fit me correctly. I factor that into the price I am willing to pay.

The F5 VS is one of the best wheelchairs available. If priced right, you should not have too much trouble selling it. But, it may still take longer than you expect to find the right buyer.

In the end, many folks seem to find it easier to donate medical equipment. One popular recipient is the ALSA, though there are certainly others. Of course, this is not financially feasible for some, in which case going through the time and hassle of selling it is necessary.

Steve

My mom is looking into the VA for further benefits once the death certificate comes in from the funeral home. From the information gathered and your responses, I would like to try to lower the prices I'm asking for everything and hopefully it can be not only useful but affordable for someone.

Permobil F5 VS : $20,000 (14 mi), 2 months old, looks new, w/ charger
Handicare P440 Ceiling lift : $1,250, brand new, installed but never used, w/ charger
Molift Smart 150 Lift : $1,250, like new, w/ charger
Invacare Reliant 450 : $1,000, brand new, w/ charger
RAZ-AT Mobile Shower Commode Chair : $1,000
iDrive Wheel Chair, Walker, IV Stand & Spokeman Voice Amplifier (MA-2200) : Included with Full Equipment Purchase.

Total: $24,000

If you want the whole lot, please direct message me and we can discuss a price and shipping for the whole lot.

Hi Jguidry, We are in Macon. How well did the voice amplifier work? How much would you want for just the voice amplifier?
Thanks!

Hi Mary,

The voice amplifier is designed to amplify the patient's voice. There is a microphone that goes around their head and a small box that it attaches to. Brand new in box, I'm willing to take $50 for it and we can meet up and exchange instead of shipping if you live in Macon. Thank you!

Great! Can you meet me tomorrow at 11:15 at the Walgreen's on Vineville (3888 Vineville Ave). If not it would need to be next week sometime. I would be in a white Honda Accord near the front of the store.

I have not heard back from you so will hold off on going to Walgreen's store on Vineville. I will wait to hear back from you.

Hey Mary,

I can only respond every 24 hours, i think. I did not have the chance to respond but I went to Walgreens today from about 1045a until 1130a and did not see you. I saw a white Honda but I was not sure if that was you or not. I have a black Jeep. We can schedule another time to meet up. I am sorry I was not able to respond and confirm meeting up with you. Let us try again next week when you are free. Walgreen's is fine. Sorry again for not being able to respond.

Jguidry...So sorry you went there! I completely forgot you might not be able to respond. How about next Wed...after 11 a.m....
please name what time is best for you. I am so sorry you waited there...Thank you again.

Mary,

I get off work tomorrow at 230p...I can meet you around 315-330p at Walgreens. Does that work? if not, i can do the same Tuesday.

Back