Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
NC
City
Carrboro
i'm getting a chair. the salesman connected to my clinic is pushing the permobil c300 with the eight-inch seat elevator option. he says that in the past medicare has covered 100%, but this year its supposed to change to 90%, plus they don't pay anything on the seat elevator and other accessories. mda and alsa may pay for the elevator.

the reviews on http://www.usatechguide.org/itemreview.php?itemid=1255 indicate a lot of dissatisfaction with reliability and service from permobil, but the posts on this forum indicate a lot of happy customers for permobil. i wish i'd read the reviews efore the demo, so i'd know what to look for and inquire about, e.g. time to repair and availaility of loaners. one year warranty sounds pretty short to me. an expected product life of five years leaves four years uncovered (never mind my own grim life expectancy)

any recommendations on accessories, e.g. trays, lights, etc? the salesman says the permobil light system costs $900 and is not covered by medicare/insurance. i think i can put together a kick *** light system with parts from bicycle and auto parts for a lot less. i think i need a 110v inverter, bipap carrier, stereo, fans, heated massage seat cover, horn, grocery bag holder, cup holders, electric cork-screw etc., but probably better to not get from a med equipment vendor ($$$).

3 inch grouund clearance isn't much if you plan any off roading like on a lawn or gravel driveway. I live on 1 1/2 acres with gravel driveway. I have an Invacare TDX5. Theyve changed the model # but it's got bigger front wheels than the 300 and I'm pretty sure the clearance is more.

AL.

I have the Quantum 6000 and have run across the lawn and curbs with no problems most of the time. But, never after a rain.
I have the tilt, raise up 6 inches, and motorized leg rest lift.
Haven't found a place yet for the microwave. :lol::lol:

I have your c300

Haven't used it a bunch, but you can tilt and raise legs for more clearance.

My clinic pushed it, think add-ons are easy-dynavox etc

I do wish I had gotten the power leg liifts, especially now with the foot and leg swelling.

AL.

Wheelchairs Pain in the Back or Butt?

Just thought of something else to think of for the long term. When I got my chair it had a standard back on it. I had them come out and look at it recently and they said since I am tall they never should have put that back on it. The top of it comes to the bottom of my shoulder blades. So when I lean back in the chair to elevate my feet it hurts.
They are modifying my chair with a full contour back that is adjustable as far as the angle at which it meets the seat. Hard to explain, so that it is not at a 90 degree angle all the time. Plus they are getting a back with more padding since I have to lay back in the wheelchair during the day to elevate my feet. I can no longer transfer to my lift chair.
Spending all day in a wheelchair that the back has not enough cushion can become very painful, also it needs to be at the right height.
I also use a ROHO cushion which is air filled cells that can adjust to your body contoured. If you would like more info go to this link:
http://www.southwestmedical.com/Whe...o_Cushions/Roho_Quadtro_Select_Cushion/2893p0
The one above is what I am currently using. You pump it full of air and sit on it and open the 4 chamber valves and they equalize to distribute the pressure over your bottom better. If anyone has something better please let me know.
This link list more different models.
http://www.southwestmedical.com/Wheelchair_Cushions_Backs/Roho_Cushions/604c0

I now know that I should have gone to a business that fits the chairs to you, not just give you one off their showroom floor.
After all, think ahead, if you are going to spend your waking days in the chair, at least make it comfortable for you or your loved one.

Oh, just remembered, Be sure to get a good padded wrap around head rest; for when your neck muscles have trouble supporting your head.

I wish they made a lazy boy model, that would fit me just right. :grin:

My current chair before changes are made, you may be able to see how the back is not tall enough:
AL2007small.jpg

Last edited:
Al, I saw the fitter today for a new, live-in-all-day chair, and the two he was big on were the Permobil C300 and the Quantum 600. You mentioned the need for a good headrest, and it looks like that one in your picture is also in the catalog--is it the standard headrest that you have? Right now, the C300 is the model I'm inclined toward, but actually I'm hoping for a loan closet chair for the time being.

Thanks!
Ann

Brian has that same chair from the loan closet, he's being set up to get his own soon. Seeing as this was his first and has been his only experience with a power chair, he really likes it. It goes fast enough, reclines easily enough where he can take a nap, etc. We haven't had to look into additions to the chair yet, but he got a camel pack for Christmas that will hold 6 beers with a bite activated straw :) it will hang right on the back.

For the chair, did you go through Stan at Stalls? I'm glad to hear the loaner close does get actual use. The system sure is quick to burn through insurance/medicare money. The "1 year" warranty sounded rather meager for a $20,000.00 piece of equipment to me.

I don't know if you're joking about the beer--if that's a camelback like we used when bicycling, it takes a good bit of effort to fight algae growth in the tubes and stuff, and that's with water, not beer.

Yep, joking about the beer. It was given to him for that purpose from family (kind of as a joke, but thought he could use it). He told them they better give him a catheter to go along with it. Glad you told me about the algae growth though. Ick.

When we've needed something, I email a wonderful lady at the ALSA and she coordinates delivery with Stalls Medical. We receive it within 2-3 days.

The model I have is the Quantum 6000.
The headrest came standard with the chair. It works good when leaning back to watch TV or something, but needs some help in the car. My head swings all over the place when the car hits a bump or what ever. They are working on a solution, just hope it is not Duct Tape? :shock::shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back