Diagnosis
03/2018
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Thornhill
Asking for any information on PEMF treatment. Thanks.

don't bother

PEMF = total scam. Hard to believe our society allows that kind of snake oil.

a) PEMF claims to treat all kinds of diseases, including cancer.
b) It supposedly works by matching the Earth's natural electro-magnetic field. (Then why doesn't the Earth's EM field cure these diseases?)
c) They say that all diseases are caused by "negative" energy exuded by your attitude.
d) The glowing reviews by hundreds of satisfied customers all have the same not-quite-right punctuation and spelling mistakes.

Stay away from PEMF.

Thanks. My dad did one free session and his fasiculations seemed to be milder at the time. I guess my attitude is: if it can’t hurt then it can only help. We aren’t paying because a friend does it so what do we really have to lose?

Um, I would challenge the idea PEMF "can't hurt" (as well as the idea that things only hurt or help). We have no flippin' idea what trauma to nerves PEMF may cause.

What we do know is that accumulated trauma from toxins, injuries, possibly certain electrical exposure types, plays a role in who gets ALS. We know that the nerves are a battery and when muscles are overused in ALS, progression gets faster for some period of time.

Nerves control muscles via electrical impulses (think about an EMG that stimulates muscles to move), and an avowed goal of PEMF is to "stimulate neurons." In ALS, stimulating motor neurons artificially could very well cause them to wear out faster. No way I'd do PEMF (and like some others here, as a non-PALS, I have had TENS for pain so I'm not anti-electricity).

And yes, I've seen the papers about the possibility that PEMF helped cell lines mimicking other CNS disorders in vitro to self-repair. Those are not cells in actual people, let alone PALS.

Decreasing fasciculations are not always a good thing in ALS in my experience. No twitching sounds good but sometimes it happens because the muscle can’t twitch or is less able to.

On the other hand, my personal belief is that a PALS can do whatever he wants.

If he likes it, perhaps it:
A) is enjoyable.
B) makes him feel proactive.
C) gives him hope.

If my PALS wanted to bench press bars of radioactive uranium, I'd happily find a way for her to do it.

Haha I feel the same way. My dad let’s me make the decisions so I wanted some input before we continue. I consulted with his neurologist but we have yet to hear back yet. If there is a chance that it is harmful I would rather steer clear personally

Mike’s comment that “The glowing reviews by hundreds of satisfied customers all have the same not-quite-right punctuation and spelling mistakes” makes me consider two possibilities:

a) One person wrote all the glowing reviews, or
b) People who try this alleged therapy have not been properly educated in spelling and grammar.

So, if you feel inclined to try this therapy, please consult an English teacher ASAP.

I think most of us CALS, with more mobility and energy to do research than our PALS, have considered ourselves gatekeepers against notions more likely to do more harm than good. My husband certainly expected that of me. I'm not talking about telling my mom to let my mildly diabetic dad have some ice cream (which I do), but about mistakes that could have a dramatic effect on the "battery life" left.

Best,
Laurie

I guess for me, the deciding factor has nothing to with the efficacy of the drug it is strictly based on its safety. Our neurologist wrote back and said he had to look it up when I mentioned it because he hadn’t heard of it. He actually said he doesn’t recommend treatments that don’t have evidence of benefits (especially when the potential risks are not well known). I wish there was more information.

All the information you need is in this one sentance:

It doesn't work.​

I looked into this when a friend was conned into buying one. She invited many people to her home and brought it to me to test it on my knee and shoulder. I let her do it. Nothing.

I did some research and later found that she was involved in a multi-level marketing scheme that was designed to pressure people in pain to try the technology. She ended up returning the unit, because it helped nobody....aside from the initial placebo effect that many of her friends experienced on the first try. She had to pay a restocking fee of several hundred dollars. The "system" cost thousands.

If it actually worked, all the PTs would be using it.

I think time and money is better off spent of selective supplements and massages. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back