Diagnosis
08/2015
Country
US
State
South
City
The Beach
I've been exploring adjunct therapies for the pain I experience. I get a lot of joint pain from tendonitis and torn rotator cuffs. So far PT has only made it worse.

I came across one PT who uses pulsed electromagnetic field therapy in conjunction with her hands-on approach to PT. She has treated other neuro conditions but not ALS.

The two most popular units are Bemer and iMRS. If you buy one for home use they are multi-level marketing products which sends up a red flag.

I've done a lot of research on the technology but was wondering if any of you have had experience with PEMF. From what I gather the main therapeutic outcome is increased circulation.

It's so tempting to just pop another Oxy and forget about it but when I'm no longer moving around, I can see issues with opioids (constipation, for one)

Any of you PALS or CALS heard of it?

I have no experience with or knowledge of PEMF. Here are some other modalities you or your PT may consider for soft tissue pain:
Ultrasound with decadron
Cold laser therapy
Acupuncture
Massage
Compounded NSAIDs mixed with gabapentin (applied topically)
Topical cbd cream
Gabapenin orally
Orthopedic eval to see if cortisone injections are an option

You have a disease that effects the nerves. The idea of putting a pulsed electricity through the nerves sounds like trouble to me. I have enough problems with nerves.
Vincent

Here are the things I currently do: massage, Neurontin (Gaba), THC hybrid topical cream, prescription cream (containing Duloxetine, Ketoprofen, Lidocaine, Cyclobenzapring, Dimethyl Sulfoxide, and Tramadol). The THC hybrid topical seems to work much better than the prescription cream. I've also used lidocaine patches and cold laser therapy (from a PT.)

Vincent, none of these therapies involve electricity. I did have a TENS unit which I gave away years ago because it was useless for neck pain I was experiencing.

It's just too easy to pop 1/4 of an Oxy with some Valium and carry on.

I will probably go back for some acupuncture. It helped with migraines during my late 40s. Thanks for the reminder, Karen. I had a very bad reaction from oral steroids but did tolerate some shots in my neck after a car accident and unfortunate trip to a chiropractor. I see my pain management neurologist on the 27th so I'll run everything by him.

Anyway, a friend has one of the Bemer units at her condo. I'm going to give it a try on my knee that just won't stop hurting. Odd thing is that I can still climb stairs but it hurts a lot.

Kim, Vincent is not saying you use electricity now -- he is cautioning that is what PEMF is, including the Bemer unit you are talking about trying.

From what I can gather of the technology, not having researched in depth, it probably isn't strong enough to cause harm as it basically replicates frequencies you are exposed to every day if you have a refrigerator, etc., but personally, given our lack of understanding as to the triggers/exacerbating factors for neuronal death in ALS, I would not risk it as there is no objective evidence of efficacy so the only possible significant effects are negative (which is often the case in MLM).

Kim,

My DH (my PALS) tried the Beamer. He has limb-onset and was trying anything that might possibly help. It did NOTHING for him. A total waste of time (and a lot of money). If you can try your friend's, why not. But don't let someone talk you into purchasing one unless you see some benefit.

I wouldn't buy one. She has one. I don't think I would lie down on the full mat but I think I'd give it a shot on my knee. It's really the same concept as transcranial magnetic stimulation only WAY lower frequency and intensity.

I tried an infrared/crystal mat another friend had and it did nothing for me. That technology was also contraindicated in autoimmune diseases and, since I already have Hashimoto's, I only tried it once.

I'm very skeptical with most so-called therapies to manage pain. I always felt worse after PT and I've had it three separate times, 10-weeks each. They didn't really show me anything I didn't already know, including exercises.

Kim I don't think popping 1/4 of an oxy is anything to be worried about in the big scheme of things. If you were saying you already need some high dose every couple of hours, well that would be a concern ...

No problem if you want to give this PEMF a try, but I doubt it will do anything substantial to help, but hey one or two tests will give you an idea :)

Tillie,

If I though all my pain issues were ALS I wouldn't try it. But I have a history of pain, multiple car accidents, a skiing accident that did a number on my left knee and, of course, two sprained ankles two years apart. Back in 1999 I was dx with fibromyalgia at Mayo so I figure what's the harm.

Interestingly, last Summer when I was on a strict paleo diet, my pain level decreased.

If I have low expectations I won't be disappointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back