Diagnosis
12/2010
Country
US
State
GA
City
Atlanta
The fellow at my last clinic visit suggested that I consider a peg to bypass the coughing and choking when I eat
What thinks. You?

Eating and drinking are highly overrated.

It will only get worse. Get a peg now and use it to lessen the risk of pneumonia and weight loss.

My sister delayed getting a PEG. She now admits she should have got it when it was first suggested. if you are choking now it is time. You can still have things by mouth if you can manage it safely. It will be easier for you when you have the tube and you will spare your family having to watch you struggle to swallow

My is 80 and he said from day one that he would never get a PEG. It's totally his decision so I'm fine with whatever he chooses. But, the other day he was eating and he choked on a hot dog. It was the first time then that he even mentioned that he might reconsider. If it were me and I had bulbar onset ALS I would definitely get a PEG. I feel a person definitely wouldn't have much choose without one other then to live in horrible fear everyday of choking too death. If I had limb onset it would be a toss up.
My mom had a feeding tube when she had colon cancer. She made the doctors remove it. She lasted 2 years without it. But, again it was cancer and not ALS.
Make your decision quickly if you decide to get one. Many people seem to manage pretty well with them from what I read on hear. Mom didn't really have any issues with hers. She just wanted to eat on her own.
Sending you a hug. So sorry you have to make such a tough decision. Kim

I said I'd never get one...however, I'm scheduled for the surgery this coming Wednesday! I have trouble swallowing pills, water, etc. I'm sick of choking! I'll report back how it goes.

I have one and love it. Even though it's totally necessary now. I had it for like half a year before i used it for anything but pills. Remember, you don't have to use it. It sounds like you're coughing a lot. Maybe you can use the feeding tube for most of of your nutrition, and just pleasure eat. Either way, I highly recommend.

Thanks folks
It feels like one more step down that road..
I will think on it some

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back