Diagnosis
04/2019
Country
US
State
FL
City
Fort Pierce
Has anyone with a peg been told that they can no longer swim in a pool? I went to the surgeon for a follow up on the Peg I had placed in April. I asked him to trim the tube because it was too long to cover with the tegaderm film before I go in the pool. His response was no swimming or using the tub. I about fell over when he said that. I use my pool daily to stretch and do ROM.

My husband didn't swim with his, but everything I read online said swimming in a pool is fine. Hot tubs and ponds are bad because they have more stagnant water, but otherwise I thought it was OK. Even without covering it with tagaderm (though I was going to cover his if we went swimming).

Do you have a button? That should be easier to cover with tagaderm.

No, I have a peg I'm considering changing it out for a button. I've been swimming since its healed with no issues. So I was very surprised when the surgeon said no pool.

Children with pegs swim in competitions!

Surgeons tend to overcompensate with protecting their handiwork, and remember a lot of PEG patients are immunocompromised so that can be in their heads, too. Evidence supports swimming so long as it is healed and the water is not rank.

I would suggest you get the dangler replaced with a button now, it will make all ROM, transfers and pool dipping so much easier.

I would suggest if you want to swim then swim. What do you have to lose, your doctor ?
Al

Good point Al thats what I figure. I enjoyed the pool today 😉

Lisa funny we just had this conversation! I am getting ready to go down that road. And just had a new pool installed. And I have taken a bath everyday for 30 years! My Dr said no.,I’m confused. Button? Peg? Mic key? What one is best?

I have a Peg with a tube. I am currently looking into getting it changed out to a low profile Mickey button.
My pool water is clean so I'm going to continue to swim. You can cover the area with Tegaderm film to keep the area dry. I also make sure to wash off the tube when I get out.

@kellysal The button, once the stoma heals from the initial insertion, is truly a lot easier to maintain, but you can swim with either dangling tube taped up or button.
Peg is just the method of insertion, and mostly now PALS have the tube inserted via RIG rather than PEG as you don't need anaesthetic, don't have the endoscopic tube down your throat and can therefore use your bipap during the entire procedure.
PEG - percutaneous endoscopic gastrostomy
RIG - Radiographically inserted gastrostomy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back