Diagnosis
2/2014
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Yucaipa
Raymond did fine, all the discussions about oxygen and ALS really helped us today, I was able to be an informed advocate for him, and shared info with a couple of great nurses who hadn't dealt with ALS patients before, so a huge thank you!

Now a practical question, what do we do with this tube at night? He sleeps on his side still, with a bipap, so he turns from one side to the other throughout the night. How sturdy are these devices? Tape? (He's very hairy, not a great option) I'm at a loss! Suggestions? Thanks!
Grace

I use tape but you can find "g tube holders" many places including Amazon.

If tape is a problem, it is fairly easy to make a little 'carry sack' by folding up a singlet or t shirt and sewing it to make a kind of pouch.

Chris was not hairy, so we used to tape his up.

He is unlikely to pull it out, but if he has trouble rolling over he could really pull it and cause pain and the stoma could take a long time to heal well.

Grace,
Try a stretchy tank top, like spandex. It holds everything where u place it. I have no problem turning over & it stays put.
I've also used a hair clip or a lg safety pin (through the small cap loop) & pin it to the neck band of an old t shirt.

We just tuck Kathy's into the top of her underwear.

They advise against tucking these things into pants/underwear. I think because of the possibility of yanking on the thing.

One more 'wear' option for daytime use is to hang it from a lanyard such as are used for badges.

>yanking on the thing

mother told me not to yank on my thing ...

>yanking on the thing

mother told me not to yank on my thing ...

Max, you are always telling us not to fall, then you post something that had me doubled over with laughter!

Max! Hysterical! �� Raymond's doing pretty well with it, just getting used to it was the biggest challenge I think. The dr. Left it really long- 15 in or so, when we go to the follow up I'll ask about shortening it, or maybe getting the flat button type mentioned in other threads. You guys are great, thanks!
Grace

Pretty sure they are a standard length.

Normally they want 6 weeks for the stoma to heal over and then will change to a button if you prefer.

Glad to hear it's going well so far :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back