Peg tube people - anyone still sore/oozing? And bra issues?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DW96

Reason
PALS
Diagnosis
06/2021
Country
US
State
IL
I've had mine since September and it's still oozing stuff daily. (not leaking, just wound oozing) and it's always sore around the peg. hurts!
Thinking of getting into the Dr to see if there's anything topical to put on it to help it heal or whatever,
Plus I'm a large chested female and HAVE to wear a bra. Since losing muscles underneath my chest it weighed down more and my PEG is literally center of my chest with the bra resting on/rubbing against it, which puts more pressure an pain on the peg site.
Advice?

It sounds much like there's irritation from the bra, pushing and pulling on the tube.
Do you use a large "bandaid" to protect the tube and keep it in place? My PALS had nice sets: they contain a couple of gauze compresses I moistened with saline solition and used to clean the site, a soft fleece with a slit for the tube so it can be placed between the belly and the plastic thingy which held the tube in place. Finally there was a big handsized breathable patch to put over the site. As it keeps the PEG in a daily rotated position there's less pull throughout the day.
How and with what do you care for the site of and around your PEG tube? I was taught not to use desinfectant on the skin and tube, when there's no infection to treat.

Last edited:
I've only had my peg for 3 weeks and yes there is a little oozing. I checked with the doctor and was told that its normal. Do you have any redness around the site? As far as the bra issue, I can only imagine how uncomfortable that would be unfortunately I don't have an answer for that. I would definitely let your doctor know and see if they can offer any solutions. I'm sorry your going through this. The disease is hard enough we don't need anymore issues.

I wonder if you could ask to have a consult with a wound and ostomy nurse? They have a lot of experience with healing surgical stomas and are often very creative in managing challenges posed by individual anatomy.

if you haven't already, please take a look at Diane Huberty's excellent website, ALS from Both Sides. She has great information on stoma care.

Thanks everyone will check those things out

My pals had his tube placed on 3/30/22. A month later I neglected to check it for a few days since I thought it had healed. When he told me it hurt, I checked and it was slightly infected. His gastro doc prescribed an ointment (triamcinolone acetonide) that cleared it right up., but I won't do that again!

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Dot - you need to check the stoma daily, turn the tube, clean around it etc. Even if you are not using it yet, it requires close attention as remember it is a hole punched through skin and muscle with a tube sitting in hydrochloric acid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back