Diagnosis
06/2015
Country
US
State
FL
City
Lake Worth
I have been using my peg tube for almost three months. I can't chew, so all my nutrition comes through the tube, I have been living exclusively on Jevity 1,5, along with many supplements and vitamins. My vital signs are very good. Is it desirable or even possible to live only on Jevity ? Does it have enough protein for a PALS ? My muscles have atrophied pretty bad in that time.

I can't chew either, but I can still swallow. I'm surviving on Boost Very High Calorie. It has 530 calories per 8 oz. I drink 4 per day just to keep my weight stable. Bill

Are you maintaining weight? How many calories a day are you taking in?

PALS don't have a higher than usual protein need, but a very high calorie need. If the calorie intake is not enough the muscles will waste faster that is for sure.

Tillie, how many calories would a PALS need? Bill

I am 5'8" 150 lbs and 62 yo.

The nutritionist wanted me close to 2000 calories.
I use 6 cans daily of formula @ 350 per.

2000 calories, a good target for most PALS. You guys w/pegs...why not blend up real food? Just wondering, that's what we did. BlendTec will liguidize anything, literally.
tc

2000 calories is often a good maintenance amount.

If you have been losing weight then it may be 2500 or even 3000 to try and put weight on.

2000 calories is often a good maintenance amount.

If you have been losing weight then it may be 2500 or even 3000 to try and put weight on.

3000 might ruin my figure.

Dong Thong,

pat

Calorie requirements depend on height, weight (actual or target), age, gender and mobility status. Fluid intake shouldn't be forgotten about either! Generally 30mls per kg of weight.

A Dietitian can assess your needs or use an online resource.

My husband, Frank, has done well on the Jevity 1.5. He has been on it since last Sept. and has gained almost 40 pounds since a 10 week hospitalization last summer.

Sharon

Hubby was on 1.5, but we asked to be moved to the higher calorie 2.0 at his last appointment. I wish we had done it sooner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back