Peg tube installed Friday... now what?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tillie;

We were supplied with a goody bag of peg supplies which included the T-drain pads.

Plain square gauze pads where you cut your own is the ticket.

As you said, I think with a little humor, the cutting is a simple procedure.

What about plunging vs. gravity feed on the feeding tube. A subject of other posts but no clear answers.

I look forward for your posts and their good content.

Ernie

I found plunging very annoying. Pull in 60 ml, connect to the tube, plunge, disconnect, pull in 60 ml gets really boring, really fast. As far as I am concerned, gravity feed is so much easier and quicker than plunging. If you go with gravity, I would recommend finding a small short stem funnel to place in the top of the syringe. It will present a much wider target as you pour. I found mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond for about $2.00 USD.

I have designed a 3d printable funnel that fits snugly into the syringe: link to downloadable file
6b0ac36088e2088f7676794eced627ae_preview_featured.jpg

Since I am not using new feeding tube yet, can they cut off excess tubing and install "button type"?

The wound must heal three months before the tube can be replaced. My hospital does not store different size buttons, so they measured the depth of the channel after three months but installed a second fixed tube. After another three months I had a right size button waiting for me.

With as much humour as possible I can say that we gravity through a syringe. Nup having trouble finding something funny there, except that we called it (Peggy) Sue and made up many silly song lyric adaptions.

The funnels are a great idea!

I have a measuring cup that has a pouring lip that allowed me to pour very simply directly into the syringe. The syringe also slotted very nicely into an adapted microphone stand which was wonderful not to have to hold the syringe as we had to gravity fairly slowly to avoid nausea.

The microphone stand was a multi-purpose device I designed and was put together by a few people over a few months but it had a cup tipping device on it as well allowing Chris to use his one functioning finger to tip a cup and drink thickened coffee right through to the end.

https://youtu.be/v8TaKS_GcV8

My funnel has the angle at exactly 300 ml, which is my dose of food, water, coffee etc. Most nurses pour the food directly from the bottle into the funnel.

Wilson2009;

We suck water into one syringe using the plunger. Call this the plunged syringe

We then place another syringe in the tube without a plunger. Call this the open syringe

We then fill the open syringe by plunging the water from the plunge syringe.

We then open the valve and let the liquid gravity feed.

There are a couple of benefits for us in doing it this way:

First, there is very little chance of spilling water.

Second, the plunged syringe can be attached to the tube after gravity feed and used to force excess liquid from the tube that settles above the valve.
Gravity feed, for us, always leaves too much liquid in the tube.

Since we use the tube very little (we put water through it for cleaning and minimal hydration) this procedure works for us. Inventer's funnel looks like a good idea when we start feeding thru the tube.

We used a " universal tubing securement device "

Took only a couple seconds to find it in German, thanks for the precise name and explanation!

Sent an email to ask for a free sample and today four arrived in the mail, yay. Asking is free. :- )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back