Reason
Other
Country
Uni
State
Georgia
City
Tucker
Hi all, my first forum post... just joined today.

I had a PEG tube installed while undergoing throat cancer treatment. No ALS, but this appears to be the most vigorous PEG tube forum I found.

Anyway, after the initial surgical pain had subsided (about 1.5 weeks), I was bothered by the weight of the tube tugging downward from where it goes into my stomach. I also didn't like the way the tube flops around under my clothes. I'm always thinking a store detective is going to stop me in the store and ask what I've got under my shirt.:)

So I do patent drawings for a living, am a 3D artist, and have access to a 3D printer, so I thought I'd whip something up that would fix these issues. What I came up with is pretty simple, although actually I haven't even gotten one made yet, but plan to send it off to be printed shortly.

It probably wouldn't be profitable to try to market this thing, but I would like to share it if anyone is interested. If they're not too expensive to produce, I would consider sending them out to interested people for their feedback. I have no idea what kind of response I'll get, but I see only doing this with 5-10 people.

I have a few questions which perhaps y'all can help me with.
  1. Are all PEG tubes the same? my tube is 1/2 inch in diameter. The base (where it connects to my stomach) is like a disc about 1 1/2 inch in diameter.
  2. I was warned by my doctor about the feeding tube getting clogged, so my device allows you to crimp the tube hose near the base so that flow is blocked. Is that OK to do?

I hope proposing this is acceptable on the forum. If it is not, I apologize and hope a forum moderator will inform me of an acceptable way to go about this.

Thank you for your time!

Look into a Mickey button. It is a button that sits flush to the skin and one plugs into the button.
Anna

There are "dangler" PEG tubes, which have 12" or more of silicon tubing showing. These normally have a plastic clamp, and are terminated with a "Y" port.

There are low profile, button PEG tubes such as the Mickey already mentioned. These have no external tube but need a 'plug-in' tube for use.

I doubt that your tube is 1/2", probably more like 1/4". Standard medical silicon tubing.

Both require daily flushing with water.

PEG tube holders are available. Go to Amazon and search for "g tube holder". I have one and use it daily.

I use a couple pieces of 3M medical tape. Everyday for 7 months, no big deal.

Vince

Thanks AVNL. I looked into the Mickey Button. It seems to be geared toward infants, is that correct?

While it's an admirable device, what I'm trying to accomplish is something the lay-person can install and leaves the feeding tube attached.

Wow, step away for a second, and get new responses! Like this forum.

Greg K: Of course, you are correct (have you ever heard of chemo-brain... I've got it) :) My tube is 1/4 inch in diameter. And thank you for the heads up on the g tube holder. It is definitely functional. I suppose the belt doesn't bother you?

no buttons are for adults and are the better way to go long term.

Nice you are designing something as long as you don't try selling it here :) all the best

You might look at the facebook group adult g tube feeding. You will find people there who share your diagnosis. You are welcome here as well but you will have some different issues that they might help with better than we can

Hubby uses a peg tube holder and it is great! We started out with 2 so we could have one to use while the other one was in the wash. Then we bought 2 more because it seems like whenever we like something it becomes the "kiss of death" and they are no longer manufactured! We only wish that it were a little larger in the holder part

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back